Duty Station Kakuma, Kenya
Classification General Service Staff, Grade G5
Type of Appointment One Year Fixed Term Contract, with possibility of extension.
Estimated Start Date As soon as possible
Closing Date 19 January 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Sub Office Kakuma and overall supervision of the Head of Operations and in close coordination with the relevant units, including MHD, Admin/Finance and Human Resources, the incumbent will assist in implementing refugee resettlement operations and activities in IOM Kakuma. In particular he/she will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and supervise all Kakuma operations activities such as resettlement mission support, medical support and movements of refugees.
- Coordinate and monitor the work of the operations staff.
- Be responsible for ensuring that standard operating procedures (SOPs) for all Kakuma operations activities are implemented and adhered to.
- Regularly review the operational SOPs and suggests changes and improvements.
- Train the new operations staff as well as on-call Operations Escort Staff.
- Serve as focal point for operational matters between IOM Kakuma, resettlement missions and others.
- Represent IOM in meetings and workshops related to resettlement activities in Kakuma.
- Serve as Kakuma focal point for all resettlement missions, including, but not limited to activities in Kakuma.
- Develop mechanisms to monitor and ensure that all refugee clients receive the highest quality services available from IOM Kakuma.
- Ensure regular and accurate updating of a database recording all documents received from UNHCR and forwarded to IOM Nairobi.
- Be responsible for ensuring quality control at all stages of Kakuma operations activities.
- Together with ITC Staff, MHD Data Clerk and other relevant units, develop and ensure the implementation of a database linking Kakuma operations and MHD departments.
- Prepare regular weekly/monthly reports on Kakuma operations activities.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree or its equivalent or higher in areas related to Logistics, Management or Travel Operations, with at least 3 years of relevant working experience or High School Degree/Certificate with at least 5 years of relevant working experience in resettlement/movements related operations experience, including working with the actors involved in resettlement.
- Experience in resettlement and/movements, related operations experience, including working with the actors involved in resettlement: RSC, UNHCR and other humanitarian assistance organization preferred.
- Experience working in hardship areas an advantage.
- At least two years airlines or travel agency experience is an advantage.
- Previous working experience with NGOs or International Organization is an added advantage.
- Demonstrate accuracy in handling and reporting data.
- Required IOM functional competencies: effective communicator, successful negotiator, creative and analytical thinker, active learner, team player and cross cultural facilitator.
- Strong practical computer skills, including Excel spreadsheet and Access database and experience of work with online application.
Fluency in both written and spoken English and Kiswahili.
. Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
. Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
. Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
. Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
. Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
. Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
. Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
. Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
. Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
. Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
. Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
. Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in thecountry of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Submit cover letter and CV, including daytime telephone and e-mail contact to: International Organization for Migration (IOM), Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 55040,00200, Nairobi, Kenya or send via e-mail to email@example.com.
Closing Date: 19 January 2017
Only Shortlisted Applicants will be contacted.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, process or training). IOM does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank details.
Get a free review of your CV send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with REVIEW in caps as the subject line. We can also assist you with this job application. Request assistance with your review.
Like our FB page so you never miss our daily job updates.