PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Assistant Internal Auditor is responsible for verifying internal control activities of field office(s) to which he/she is assigned. This position will assist in planning and executing internal audits and in setting corporate-wide procedures. He/she will travel to field offices, working directly with country directors and field office managers to conduct audits, provide trainings, coach local staff, implement plans, etc.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
Key Result #1 – Assist in Internal Audit planning and in setting corporate wide procedures (15%).
Assist in periodic update of the Internal Audit Charter, which describes the mission, independence, objectivity, scope, responsibilities, authority, accountability and standards of the internal audit function;
Contribute to and assist in periodic update of the internal audit manual, setting out specific procedures that will constitute thorough audit activities;
Enhance the overall control environment of financial procedures at FH by communicating systemic weaknesses to the Global Internal Auditor;
Assist in staff training and development at country levels;
Prepare field level engagement plan and obtain approval of the Global Internal Auditor.
Key Result #2 – Field inspection trips (65%).
Travel to field locations, mainly in the Great Lakes region of Africa;
Conduct field office audits, identify issues, articulate implications, clarify root causes and ensure development of timely and effective corrective action plans;
Test the functioning of controls and governance procedures;
Assist in performing loss/fraud investigations as necessary;
Interact with country directors, field office managers, in ways that elicit their cooperation;
Coach and train local finance managers concerning FH accounting policies, procurement policies, and use of accounting software.
Prepare detailed audit program for each field office audit engagement he/she is assigned to.
Key Result #3 – Follow-up on audit recommendations (15%).
Based on the follow-up plan agreed with the Global Internal Auditor, the internal auditor will tactfully follow-up on procedural weaknesses he/she identifies in the course of field audits;
Determine and present to the Global Internal Auditor issues that should be elevated to higher levels of management;
Advise auditees on risk management and control concepts;
Monitor status of recommendations for the areas of the audit.
Key Result #4 – Special projects (5%).
Willing and able to perform as county-level Field Accountant or Financial Manager on short-notice;
Other duties and special projects as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty/function satisfactorily. Requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ;
· Christian commitment to serving the poor and in full agreement with FH’s Christian foundation and beliefs as expressed in our Vision, Mission and Values;
· Knowledge of general financial and administrative management;
· In-depth knowledge of field finance, including government contract reporting;
· Strong research and analytical skills;
· Possess a persuasive personal style, able to convince others to adopt procedures and methods that may require extra work on their part in order to improve financial accuracy, safety and security;
· Creative thinking and problem-solving skill;
· Ability to sit at a computer for up to eight hours a day doing repetitive motions on a keyboard;
· Ability to work independently, including creating and following own audit work plan;
· Willingness to travel up to 65%, primarily within Africa; an expert traveler, able to create and execute cost-effective travel plans in and to field offices where travel may be difficult;
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills; capable of writing comprehensive, yet concise, reports of internal audit findings;
· Skilled at reading body language and communicating with staff members of other nationalities for whom English or French is a second language.
· Ability to develop and maintains good working relationships with field offices;
· Strong inter-personal skills, able to develop rapport and trust with all levels of field personnel;
· Strong intercultural communication skills, essential to be welcomed and accepted in fields;
· Highly organized;
· Lift up to 25 lbs. periodically.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year College or University in a finance-related field; five years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), CPA or Chartered Accountant credentials highly desirable. Cross-cultural experience a must.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES This position does not have direct supervisory responsibilities.
LANGUAGE SKILLS Proficiency in spoken and written English and French. Ability to read, analyze, technical procedures, and government regulations. Ability and experience in communicating with field staff from other cultures and whose first language is not English or French.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications, updated CV with three referees and day telephone contacts, not later than 3rd February 2017 via email: email@example.com The CV and the Motivation letter should be attached to the email with the following subject line “ASSISTANT REGIONAL INTERNAL AUDITOR”.
Note: The position is open to candidates from countries in which FH in Africa Region operates (Kenya, Uganda Rwanda Burundi, DRC Ethiopia Mozambique and South Sudan). Position location will be based on the home base of successful candidate.
Get a free review of your CV send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with REVIEW in caps as the subject line.
We can also assist you with this job application. Request job application assistance when getting your review.
Like our Carer Agency Facebook page so you never miss our daily job updates.