POSITION: Accounting Manager
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation Medical Research International (HJFMRI) provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to global medical research programs. Through funding agreements with the US Government and other donors, HJFMRI provides administrative support for research activities related to HIV, malaria, TB and other infectious diseases. HJFMRI- Kericho in Kenya has a vacancy for an Accounting Manager. The position will oversee all accounting matters for this program site and serve as a liaison on accounting, audit and compliance matters between HJFMRI site and US Headquarters. The position reports to the HJFMRI Finance and Administration Manager.
1. Provide oversight and manage full spectrum of accounting and reporting operations for the program site office, including General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Cash Management, statutory compliance and reporting.
2. Maintain direct responsibility for day-to-day accounting and financial operations to ensure timely monthly and yearly closings, reconciliations and compliance.
3. Review and approve payment vouchers, journal entries, cost allocations and other postings into accounting system and ensure proper coding, data quality and integrity of all accounting/financial
4. Ensure effective utilization of HJFMRI accounting, procurement and other business systems and up-to-date books of accounts and generate timely reports and analysis, as required.
5. Work closely with the program support teams within the site and region to coordinate monthly closing and reporting to HJFMRI Headquarters. Review and monitor compliance with HJF stipulated policies and procedures, provide on-going support, backstopping and training to site accounting staff.
6. Manage preparation, consolidation and distribution of timely monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements reflecting status of programs on grant-to-date basis in accordance with International Accounting Standards (IAS), International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and donor requirements.
7. Monitor integrity of accounting data and ensure compliance with organizational financial policies and procedures, in-country statutory requirements and donor regulations.
8. Provide appropriate guidance to support staff within the program, including allowable and non-allowable costs, project startup or closeout, preparation of wire requests, preparation of budgets and budget modifications.
9. Oversee and provide coordination of HJFMRI internal and external annual audits and provide auditors with accounting documents and explanations to audit queries, as requested.
10. Other duties as assigned or as otherwise required to successfully manage HJFMRI’s accounting operations.
1. University degree in Accounting from a recognized institution.
2. Professional accounting certification.
3. A minimum of 8 years working experience in the same field, including 3 years of experience in managing staff.
4. Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft office applications.
5. Must have hands-on experience working with QuickBooks or similar Accounting software.
6. Must have thorough knowledge and hands-on experience within all accounting areas and strong understanding of internal controls.
7. Must have experience with audit and compliance requirements of US Government funded projects.
8. Must have experience in managing large donor-funded projects for an international NGO, including budgeting and external financial reporting.
9. Work experience within a medical research setting is preferred.
1. Team player with high integrity, excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational and decision
2. Attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
3. Excellent in reporting skills and ability to comprehend and analyze data.
4. Ability to work with a diverse group of people in a multi-cultural environment and effectively manage
daily activities across multiple time zones to ensure effective communication, collaboration, time
management and compliance with applicable accounting standards.
Terms of Employment:
1 year renewable contract. The first three months will be probation period.
How to Apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should submit application letters, current CVs and contacts of referees not later than email@example.com March 06, 2017 to:
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
HJFMRI is an equal opportunity employer.
Get a free review of your CV send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with REVIEW in caps as the subject line.
We can also assist you with this job application. Request job application assistance when getting your review.
Like our Carer Agency Facebook page so you never miss our daily job updates.