We are looking for a new Director for the Consumer Insights team, leading a small, capable team of seasoned researchers to design and execute client solutions using human-centered design (HCD), UX/UI research, and rapid prototyping techniques. You would lead our vision of using these lean methodologies to help us maximize the value of financial services solutions for low-income people around the world. We want you to deeply understand how low-literate populations view products and services, how they think about technology, what mental models they bring, etc.
Responsibilities Identify, contract and direct projects
- Develop and identify new business for the CI team that aims to tackle product design problems and implement solutions by applying user-centered design processes
- Stay abreast of new trends and ideas in the fields of HCD, UX, and design, ensuring that BFA remains a top choice for thought leading work in design for financial services for low-income people
- Lead the design of and successfully manage the CI team to execute projects that may include:
- User interviews, user surveys, usability testing
- Creating wireframes, mockups, and prototypes for products and service
- Producing user personas, use case scenarios, user journeys and storyboards
- Implementing products and features with engineers and business analysts on other BFA teams
- Think creatively about how to enable low-income people to solve problems and achieve goals in all areas of their lives, through new and improved financial services
- Review outputs, ensuring the highest standards of quality for BFA’s clients
- Effectively manage budgets and timelines and ensure profitability of Consumer Insights projects
- Communicate stage of the project process effectively, keeping clients updated throughout all phases of implementation
- Set expectations accurately and define scope of projects to ensure client satisfaction
Collaborate effectively across other practice areas of BFA
- Understanding the content areas of policy, supply-side analytics and financial to be able to identify and enhance the ability of the Consumer Insights team to collaborate across practice areas
Contribute to strategic direction of firm
- Serve as an active member of BFA’s Leadership Team, including review of pipeline and associate utilization. Contribute to discussions around strategic areas for growth for the firm
- Maintain focus on social impact and work to ensure that projects translate to measurable improvements in the lives of poor people (even if indirectly)
- Manage a team of five Consumer Insights associates with expertise in how low-income people manage their finances
- Ensure Consumer Insights team members have an appropriate work load
- Coach and mentor staff, particularly strengthening their design skills and the use of cutting-edge, lean tools and methodologies
- Represent BFA at conferences and events, including public speaking engagements
- Maintain strong client relationships
- Bachelor Degree in anthropology, engineering, marketing, economics, journalism, or other similar area.
- Masters or other type of qualification in digital design, graphic design, human-computer interaction (HCI) is a plus
- A minimum of 10 years of work experience in design and its application for international development. Experience working in developing countries and a commitment to improving the lives of low-income people required
- Demonstrated expertise in design for poverty alleviation in developing countries
- Professional familiarity with different cultures and languages
- Intuitive understanding of the environments and conditions in which low-income people live their lives
- Demonstrated success in managing others and advocating for their professional advancement
- Strong communication skills and comfort with public speaking and ability to represent technical topics accurately
- Creative thinking and storytelling skills, and ability to connect individual stories with information needs of BFA’s clients
- Willingness to travel internationally up to 25% of the time
- Advanced English skills
Any of the following will be considered a plus:
- Proficiency in languages other than English
- Familiarity with financial inclusion, microfinance, digital financial services or other topics related to money management
- Knowledge of design and prototyping tools such as Balsamiq Mockups, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Understanding of HTML, Android Design Guidelines, CSS and JS
- This is a full-time position and can be based in any BFA office, i.e. Boston, New York, Medellin, Nairobi. Washington D.C., Accra, Ghana or Delhi, India would also be considered.
- Please submit a CV and cover letter to Rebecca Soulliere (email@example.com) by 30 March 2017.
Get a free review of your resume send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with REVIEW in caps as the subject line.
We can also assist you with this job application. Request job application assistance when getting your review.
Like our Carer Agency Facebook page so you never miss our daily job updates.