|Posting Title:||SENIOR ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER, P5|
|Job Code Title:||SENIOR ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER|
|Department/Office:||UNITED NATIONS ENVIRONMENT PROGRAMME|
|Posting Period:||08 March 2017 – 21 April 2017|
|Job Opening Number:||17-Administration-UNEP-75108-R-Nairobi (X)|
Appointment against this position is for an initial period of one year and may be subject to extension. Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening. On-line applications will be acknowledged where an email address has been provided.If you do not receive an e-mail acknowledgement within 24 hours of submission, your application may not have been received.. If the problem persists, please seek technical assistance through the Inspira “Need Help?” link.
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UN Environment’s Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition. This post is located in the Ecosystems Division, at the Headquarters duty station, in Nairobi.
Under the general supervision of the Deputy Director, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
1) Division Financial Management:
•Organize and ensure that funds entrusted to the Division are managed with due diligence, within UN Rules and Regulations and fiduciary standards, ensure optimization and alignment of the resources with the expected output of the Division applying result based budgeting (RBB);
•Keep the management team informed on the fund management situation and forecast;
•Bring to the attention of the Division Director and Deputy all emerging issues implying an increased financial exposure to risk by the Division and propose mitigating strategies;
•Prepare and deliver financial presentations and reports for UN Environment’s management, to the United Nations Environment Assembly and other Governing Bodies, and Donors as required;
•Organize the contribution from Ecosystems Division to Office of Internal Oversight Services/United Nations Board of Auditors, audit missions, and ensure implementation of accepted audit queries.
2) Division project portfolio:
•Provide direction and support to the Fund Management Team to keep the project portfolio under strict control;
•Supervise the Fund Management staff team to support the Ecosystems Division branches and units in the project budgeting process, fund raising, legal contracting, fund programming and reporting;
•Organize and ensure that all externally implemented projects are audited every year and at the end of the project.
3) Division Human Resources:
•Supervise HR staff team and ensure compliance to the prevailing UN rules and procedures;
•Ensure the establishment and maintenance of a set of sound HR policies, procedures, standards and tools in the Ecosystems Division which are consistent with UN policy, procedures and practice.
4) Division Administrative operations:
•Supervise the Administrative staff team and oversee general administration issues of the Division;
•Produce reports and recommendations for management on the implementation of administrative rules, procedures, and circulars;
•Monitor the adequacy of office space, office arrangements and technology for the Division and propose improvement plan when necessary.
5) Division Offices Away from Headquarters
•Serve as general liaison between Nairobi and Divisional Offices away from Headquarters on financial, administrative and human resources information, and compile inputs to corporate requests;
•Support Regional Seas Secretariats in financial matters.
•Upon request represent UN Environment in the Convention of Parties (COPs) of the Regional Seas.
6) Management of the Operations Support Unit:
•Develop the work plan of the unit, building the case for the allocation of the unit resources;
•Manage a team of professional and GS staff and provide leadership by jointly setting objectives and standards, managing performance, identifying training needs, and facilitating a team work and high productivity environment;
•Mentor staff under supervision in accomplishing the objectives and outputs of the Unit and realizing individual personal goals and foster harmonious interpersonal relations in the Unit, Division and across organizational boundaries;
•Oversee and manage performance as additional reporting officer of the Administrative Finance Management Officers in Divisional Offices away from Headquarters
•Ensure compliance, effective and efficient use of the corporate information system;
•Perform any other relevant duties as requested.
• Professionalism: Knowledge of administrative, budgetary, financial and human resources policies and procedures. Ability to apply various United Nations administrative rules and regulations in work situations. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis. Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
• Client Orientation: Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relationship in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, including gender balance; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment, anticipates problems and keeps clients informed.
• Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings, where applicable.
• Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: Empowers others to translate vision into results; Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; Drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; Shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; Demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
• Managing Performance: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) business administration, finance, accounting, management or related area is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of ten (10) years’ of progressively responsible experience in financial management, administration and planning of which five (5) years should have been at the international level in a supervisory capacity. Experience within intergovernmental organizations and with enterprise resource planning systems is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in written and oral English is required. Working knowledge of other UN official languages is desirable.
Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
United Nations Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity, including but not limited to, respect for international human rights and humanitarian law. Candidates may be subject to screening against these standards, including but not limited to, whether they have committed or are alleged to have committed criminal offences or violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The United Nations places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the At-a-Glance on “The Application Process” and the Instructional Manual for the Applicants, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The screening and evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications, including but not limited to, their education, work experience, and language skills, according to the instructions provided on inspira. Applicants will be disqualified from consideration if they do not demonstrate in their application that they meet the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations. Applicants are solely responsible for providing complete and accurate information at the time of application: no amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at midnight (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Get a free review of your resume send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with REVIEW in caps as the subject line.
We can also assist you with this job application. Request job application assistance when getting your review.
Like our Carer Agency Facebook page so you never miss our daily job updates.