Land O’Lakes International Development is a 501c3 nonprofit organization whose vision is to be a global leader in transforming lives by engaging in agriculture and enterprise partnerships that replace poverty with prosperity, and dependency with self-reliance. We leverage Land O’Lakes Inc.’s 95 years as a leading farm-to-market agribusiness. We use our practical experience and in-depth knowledge to facilitate market-driven business solutions that generate economic growth, improve health and nutrition, and alleviate poverty. We believe in the value of people and ensuring our work is rooted in honesty, integrity and respect. Since 1981, we have implemented more than 280 programs in over 80 countries.
This position, based in Nairobi will provide overall leadership and support in development and implementation of electronic data collection systems. The Database Specialist will spend the majority of their time (80%) providing system administration and support to Land O’Lakes’ Integrated Monitoring Performance Assessment Computerized Tracking System (IMPACTS), which is a project-level relational database system. This will include working closely with project staff to translate paper data collection forms into electronic data collection forms, creating reporting dashboards to report key statistics, and code specific calculations in the system to use the data to calculate these statistics automatically. Additionally, this position will work closely with the projects throughout their implementation to troubleshoot any issues that are encountered in the system. The remainder of their time (20%) will be spent on Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning initiatives, including providing thought leadership in use of technology for data management. The Database Specialist will be a part of the Global Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (GMEL) team and will report to the Global Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Senior Manager based in Washington D.C.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
- Contribute to thought leadership to the organization and GMEL team in use of technology for data management;
- Keep up-to-date with and share learning about state of the art approaches to use of technology for data management;
- Design separate IMPACTS applications for each new project, including setting user views, translating paper data collection tools to electronic, coding calculations of the data, and setting up dashboards to display analyses according to the needs of projects;
- Update the IMPACT applications of existing projects, as needed;
- Provide user support and training to project and headquarters staff, including development and regular updating of user manuals, as needed;
- Troubleshoot issues with the IMPACTS applications with project staff;
- Evaluate processing and programming problems in collaboration with the IMPACTS system vendor;
- Conduct regular assessment of database performance by developing a protocol for measurement of results and identification of problem areas, including seeking regular feedback from project and HQ staff;
- Plan for database upgrades to improving process efficiency of the system;
- Design and implement database management tools;
- Lead GIS Mapping initiatives including but not limited to Google Technologies like Google Charts, Cloud and Google Maps;
- Manage the department’s SharePoint site in Office 365.
- A bachelor’s degree in information technology or related field
- Minimum 3 years of experience developing databases and applications for data collection, including developing charting solutions/ dashboard development
- Experience with User Experience design, and providing user support
- Expertise in database concepts, especially relational databases
- Deep knowledge of offline first applications and application development
- Good understanding of location-based services and mapping technologies, for example Google Maps, Open Street Maps
- Good understanding of user needs and translation of user requirements into viable solutions
- Knowledge of Android OS to provide troubleshooting and support for users a plus
- Excellent verbal and written English communications
- Strong collaboration and team work skills
- Ability to work effectively across cultures and geographies
- Good sense of humor a plus
Please note only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls please.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Land O’Lakes enforces a policy of maintaining a drug-free workforce.
Get a free review of your resume send it to email@example.com with REVIEW in caps as the subject line.
We can also assist you with this job application. Request job application assistance when getting your review.
Like our Carer Agency Facebook page so you never miss our daily job updates.