Get a free review of your resume send it to email@example.com with REVIEW in caps as the subject line.
We can also assist you with this job application. Request job application assistance when getting your review.
Like our Carer Agency Facebook page so you never miss our daily job updates.
Head of Product
Who we are
Africa is the fastest urbanizing continent on the planet, and will house over 60% of the world’s top cities by 2050. As these cities rise, they consume major resources in their wake. Within the next two decades Africa will consume more than two California’s worth of natural forest cover.
Komaza is revolutionizing African forestry by unlocking the potential for smallholder farmers to serve booming wood markets. By partnering with farmers around major cities, Komaza can access effectively limitless land and establish a hectare of trees for far less than big plantations – a powerful disruption to the traditional forestry model.
With roots in San Francisco and headquarters in coastal Kenya, we have planted over 2 million trees with more than 6,000 farmers, making us Kenya’s largest commercial tree planter. We have been recognized with numerous awards and investments, including Forbes, Ashoka, Mulago Foundation, and Novastar Ventures.
About the team
With plans to grow the largest forestry company on the continent, Technology Development is a critical driver of operations and strategy at Komaza. We are building a powerful mobile platform that puts farmer, tree and mapping data into the hands of our frontline field staff – helping us plant more trees faster with more farmers to better outcomes. In this year’s alpha launch, we used our new mobile app to increase our entire farmer base by 50%, and have plans to double again next year. We are a small, scrappy team that functions like an independent, early-stage start-up inside the organization, and are looking for a highly-collaborative team of rockstars to build the future of tech at Komaza.
About this role
As Head of Product, you will lead both design and product at Komaza. You will be responsible for understanding our users, understanding our technology, and crafting well designed products that are simple and intuitive enough for our audience of new smartphone users. We need a hands-on doer & facilitator who is equally comfortable collaborating with operations, engineering, and business intelligence, designing user behaviors, and sketching product screens.
What You Will Do
- Work with Operations, Engineering, and our Executive Leadership team to set the product vision for our next phase of development
- Design and develop elegantly simple UI/UX for our mobile and web applications
- Monitor data streams to identify top development priorities
- Lead “lean ux” research to develop insights into user adoption
- Synthesize quantitative and qualitative data to steer product vision
- Set product timelines and lead sprint planning for timely delivery
What You Should Have
- Bachelor’s degree in related field with superior academic performance
- Minimum of 5 years post-undergraduate, full-time work in Product or Design, technical backgrounds preferred.
- Experience leading agile development and driving fast-paced, iterative product releases with use of simple collaborative tools like Trello & Asana.
- Experience mapping information flows (Lucidchart), designing mockups (Sketch & Invision), and managing analytics (MixPanel).
- Excellent verbal and written communications and interpersonal skills.
- High energy and enthusiasm; Flexible and self-motivated with the drive to do whatever necessary to get the job done
- Comfortable working in a company that acts and feels a lot like a startup (dynamic, unstructured, and frequently changing)
- Self-directed and intellectually curious – you know how and when to seek feedback in the pursuit of continuous improvement
- Growth-obsessed with a strong desire for personal development
- A collaborative problem solver who seeks the opinions of other teammates and departments in the development of creative and sustainable systems
What we expect
This role is currently based at our headquarters in beautiful Kilifi, Kenya. In order to build product momentum & have ready access to users, we are seeking to locate this team at HQ in Kenya for at least the next 12-18 months. The role offers competitive salary and benefits with potential for further career growth.
Application deadline is the 1st June 2017