Increase your chances of landing a job interview, get a free verbal critique of your resume send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with REVIEW in caps as the subject line. Send your resume for possible placement and free job application guidelines.
We can also assist you with this job application. Request job application assistance when getting your review.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Main purpose of job:
The Programme Manager will be responsible for developing, managing and reporting on projects in Conflict, Security and Stability in support of the UK’s strategic objectives for South Sudan. The successful candidate will have specific responsibility for developing projects on objectives relating to peace mediation and peace-building programming, and to develop a broad understanding of the UK’s project work in South Sudan,
The post is open to candidates based in Nairobi. The successful candidate will need to be prepared to undertake occasional travel to alternative locations in the region.
Roles and responsibilities
Programme management of National and Local Conflict Prevention projects (30%)
- Help technical leads in the proactive development of project ideas
- Receive project proposals and prepare initial assessment summaries for consideration by the CSSF Head of Programmes and South Sudan Strand Board.
- Assist with production of Business Cases for projects in line with each department’s procedures
- Oversee procurement in line with relevant HMG procurement procedures
- Support Programme Team in delivery of Conflict, Stability and Security projects
- Create and maintain schedule of key project milestones (start/end dates, report due dates, monitoring visits required, evaluations) and be responsible for holding technical leads to timescales.
- Particular overseeing in the design and delivery of the Embassy’s National Level Conflict Reduction programme.
- Regular travel will be required to South Sudan and, subject to the security situation, occasionally outside of Juba.
Financial Management of projects (30%)
- Assessment of partner budgets to ensure in line with UK government rules and regulations and value for money
- Maintenance of accurate spreadsheets regarding project allocations, monthly spend and forecast spend
- Financial reporting back to the Head of Programmes (monthly),
- Monitoring of programme spend, including against allocation per project and liaison with implementing partners
- Arrange for transfer of funds to partners as required
Monitoring and Evaluation (30%)
- Liaison with implementing partners and Regional M&E Adviser in order to monitor progress against project objectives
- Arranging and oversight of project monitoring visits
- Regular reporting of project progress to the South Sudan Strand Board and wider programme team.
Team Support and Learning and Development (10%)
- As a member of the Regional and Sudans CSSF team and the South Sudan HMG Team, provide hoc support to other team priorities.
- To undertake necessary training and development activities for the job
Management of a large conflict, stability and security programme.
- Experience in programme management.
- Experience in financial management.
- Experience working in politically sensitive programming and with senior stakeholders; on peace agreement implementation and/or with the security sector
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
The successful candidate will have access to a wide range of learning and development opportunities including training on programme and financial management, monitoring and evaluation, and cross-cutting issues such as gender and conflict sensitivity. This is in addition to large number of training course offered locally by FCO e-learning and opportunities for on-the-job learning and mentoring.
Working with HMG presents an exciting opportunity to be part of a dedicated team working to prevent conflict in South Sudan and globally.
Members of staff are entitled to paid annual leave, which is earned, from the day they commence employment. Entitlements are as follows:
Grades B3 (L) 30 days
In addition to annual leave, the BHC normally observes no fewer than 9 and no more than 14 Kenyan and British public and religious holidays in a year. These vary from year to year and are at the discretion of the High Commissioner. A list of holidays is published each year.
Monday to Thursday: 0800 – 1630 Friday: 0800 – 1400
Full-time hours required. However, flexible working arrangements welcome and you should take the opportunity to discuss this with the recruiting manager during the recruitment process.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Nairobi are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Kenya.
- It is essential that the applicants already have the right to live and work in Kenya without the need to apply for a work permit
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.