Increase your chances of landing a job interview, get a free verbal critique of your resume send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with REVIEW in caps as the subject line. Send your resume for possible placement and free job application guidelines.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Reports To: General Manager and Head of Lending, East Africa
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Start Date: Immediately
Contact: Fabiola Bolaños, Human Resources and Admin. Director: email@example.com
About Root Capital
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace and preserve vulnerable ecosystems.
Root Capital supplies these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.2 billion to improve the lives of six million people in farming communities.
The Credit Analyst supports the growth and quality of Root Capital’s credit portfolio by collaborating with the Portfolio Manager and Loan Officers in gathering, verifying and conducting financial and credit analysis of potential loans from rural small and medium enterprises (SMEs). S/he will also monitor the quality of outstanding loans. This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Credit Analysis (60%)
- Support the Portfolio Manager / Loan Officer to collect, verify and analyze information for potential or actual credits in priority areas, mainly in sustainable agriculture.
- Prepare along with the Portfolio Manager / Loan Officers, the credit proposals/memos, for presentation and consideration by the credit committee. Deliver additional reports, regarding operations as required by Portfolio Manager.
- Collaborate with designated team members in the organization to negotiate structure and legally document the loan documents. Support the closing process of each approved credit.
- Maintain relations with the client, as necessary and continuous monitoring of the activities for the approved credits, according to the procedures established by Root Capital.
- Collaborate with the Portfolio Manager review to update the qualification of risk during the analysis of the credit proposal and during the life of the loan once it is disbursed.
- Analyze periodic monitoring reports from designated clients, third party monitors and discuss with the Risk Manager.
- Support the execution of “due diligence” of businesses in every stage of the loan’s application, to ensure well-informed decision-making and qualification of the risk involved.
- Critically analyze the financial statements and apply financial, commercial, environmental and social criteria to the actual and considered credits, providing recommendation for payment and monitoring the repayment of the loans disbursed.
- Ensure client covenant compliance in line with loan agreement/approved terms and conditions.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Banking, Business Administration or related field required.
- 3-5 years’ experience in financial and credit analysis in East Africa required.
- Experience with small and medium enterprise (SME) or agricultural lending is desirable.
- 2 years’ experience in SME financial and credit analysis desired. Ability to understand and learn the organization’s credit policies and credit analysis is a requirement.
- Strong experience with Microsoft Word and Excel is necessary. Additional knowledge of financial software is a plus.
- Ability to handle confidential information about the transactions and business activities of Root Capital and our clients.
- Strong interest in the field of social impact investing. Passionate about supporting the advancement of Root Capital’s mission of growing prosperity in rural communities in Africa.
- Willingness to travel to rural areas of East Africa.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with a variety of stakeholders across multiple geographies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English required
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Proactive, service-oriented attitude.
- Strong attitude towards compliance
- Authorized to work in Kenya
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Domestic and international travel, up to 25% of the time, often to remote regions with limited medical, transport, communications and lodging facilities
Commensurate with experience.
Applications and Nominations
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. We will only receive applications that includes: resume and cover letter describing your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position should be sent to: “firstname.lastname@example.org”. Please type “Credit Analyst” followed by your name (Last, First) as the subject line of your email (e.g. Credit Analyst – Gachuna, Fred). Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.
Root Capital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, active military or veteran status, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth, and breastfeeding and expressing breast milk), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Root Capital is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that upholds our leadership principles of: empowerment, equity, integrity, service, and transparency.