Increase your chances of landing a job interview, get a free verbal critique of your resume send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with REVIEW in caps as the subject line. Send your resume for possible placement and free job application guidelines.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Full Time
Do you want your work to matter? Do you want to use your skills to make a difference, not just a living? Do you want to improve millions of lives, including your own?
The mobile health (mHealth) trend, offers an unprecedented opportunity to transform the health services available to people across the globe. In particular, the mHealth transformation can be most disruptive in the developing countries, which is often characterized by a dysfunctional public health system with a severe scarcity of health infrastructure and resources. Despite this opportunity, the growth of mHealth in developing countries is rather slow to achieve its full potential. Various factors are hindering the growth of mHealth in low-income countries.
mHealth is at the heart of how Living Goods drives impact. We believe that reliable data, consistent diagnostics and analytics are crucial for delivering high quality and cost-effective community healthcare at scale. We want to utilise our experience to enable other implementers and governments to adopt mHealth solutions which drive the performance and therefore impact of CHWs. The technology plays important role in achieving our long-term goals. We are an innovative in rolling out new solutions and ideas to empower CHWs and management. Living Goods has broad experience of technical solutions relevant to healthcare sector in the developing world and we are continuously shaping our platform to meet our customers’ current and future requirements.
The Data Scientist will represent the foundation of a data driven culture that has made Living Goods a successful organization delivering health services via the community health worker. The successful candidate in this role will use a wealth of internal data streamed for different physical sources, and external data available to understand beneficiaries’ behaviour, improve operational efficiencies and provide actionable insights to stakeholders so they can make smarter, data-driven decisions.
Based in Nairobi, Kenya, the ideal candidate will have an established background in solving complex problems, a strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and the motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment. Our team is small, creative, diligent, highly entrepreneurial and business-focused.
What we are looking for:
- Passionate about science and data. Our drive is to bring advanced technology and robust scientific techniques into the research and operation.
- Highly driven, results-oriented, creative and a problem solver with an ability to prioritize and set direction in a fast-moving environment
- Curious attitude with collaborative and resourceful working style
- Team Player. Act as an ambassador for Data Science within Living Goods and enable others in the organization to utilize your work
- You are accountable. We take responsibility for our own successes and failures.
- You are disciplined. We do things the right way, we do not cut corners, we do not rely on smoke and mirrors; we are the real deal.
- Use various data mining techniques to uncover trends and derive insights
- Analyse forecasting metrics, perform exploratory data analysis with the goal to uncover trends, find root causes of forecast inaccuracies and develop innovative features that can drive additional value
- Solve complex data science problems using the breadth of open source tools available including problem framing, data preparation, model building, model deployment and output consumption in the form of dashboards
- Manage stakeholder expectations and design data science solutions which align with our pillars of maximizing impact and scale, reducing operational costs and improve beneficiaries’ experience
- Perform ad-hoc analysis and present results concisely and persuasively to various stakeholders
- Deliver successful high-profile data science projects within the organisation
- A university degree in Big Data, Mathematics, Statistics or Computer Science
- At least 3 years work experience as a data scientist within a business environment
- Practical experience building and implementing predictive models using machine learning algorithms and knowledge of building time-series models by taking into account dynamic variables
- Working knowledge of relational databases, data manipulation, business and/or enterprise intelligence, and applied statistics
- Experience with data science programming languages, specifically Python/Java or R
- A deep understanding of AI, ML, NLP and deep learning tools and libraries and familiarity with big data technologies and data frameworks like Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, nifi or other
- Superior written and verbal communication skills and the ability to clearly explain technical concepts and implications of analyses (tell a data story) to a wide audience.
- Proven ability to translate business problems into actionable analyses
- Excellent general IT skills and the aptitude to learn new packages and processes
- Strong project management skills
- Experience in health or a related field will be an added advantage
competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience
including health insurance and bonus opportunity. The opportunity to be
your best while making lives better for those in need.
About Living Goods
Living Goods is a non-profit organization that’s partnering with governments to transform access to essential health care for mothers and children under age 5, by supporting the delivery of effective community health programs. Our approaches leverage the power of technology, including data-driven performance management, and motivated and compensated community health workers, to bridge critical health care gaps. We want to ensure that every mother gives birth safely—and that no child dies from easily treatable and preventable diseases like malaria, pneumonia or diarrhea—by equipping community health workers to serve as cost-effective catalysts for stronger health systems.
We’re about disruption and transformation, not charity and quick fixes. We’re working to permanently change the way health care is delivered across the developing world, so that all mothers and children have access to on-call, life-saving primary health education, diagnoses and treatments at their doorsteps. We started our operations in Uganda in 2007, moved to Kenya in 2015, and are looking to strategically expand across sub-Saharan Africa.
Living Goods has been featured in The New York Times, NBC News, The Economist, and The Huffington Post. Check out these articles and more on our press page.
Life at Living Goods
Living Goods is aiming to make disruptive changes, dramatically improving the lives of the poor. We think big, but we operate small and nimble. At Living Goods, you will have the chance to use your creativity and work with your teammates to conceive and test new ideas every day. If you work well in a dynamic, highly collaborative culture, if you set high standards for yourself and your colleagues, if you know how to fail fast and learn fast, if you meet challenges with calm determination and a sense of humor, you will thrive at Living Goods. See http://www.livinggoods.org/principles.
Living Goods is an equal opportunity employer and will consider every qualified applicant for employment. Living Goods does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability.
Our current job openings are displayed on our website, where you can search for open positions and apply directly. Living Goods does not offer any positions without an interview and never asks candidates for money. If you are asked for money, we strongly recommend that you do not respond and do not send money or personal information.