Increase your chances of landing a job interview, get a free verbal critique of your resume send it to email@example.com with REVIEW in caps as the subject line. Send your resume for possible placement and free job application guidelines.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Requisition ID: req6914
Job Title: Surveillance Officer – AFI
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kakuma, Kenya
Working under the guidance and supervision of Clinical Services Manager. The AFI surveillance Clinical Officer will work closely with the rest of the MOH team based at Kakuma Refugee Camp Hospital to identify potential AFI cases and controls, consent eligible participants and collect samples, clinical and EPI information.
- Identify potential AFI participants both cases and controls
- Consent study participants
- Collect quality clinical and EPI information
- Collect quality specimens
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the study coordinator.
- Liaise with the study coordinator for administration issues, supplies and specimen transport.
- Attend meetings and trainings related to the study as requested.
- Work closely with the national surveillance coordinator who will oversee activities at the sentinel sites.
- Work closely with the hospital disease surveillance and infection control teams to detect and prevent/contain any outbreak
- Coordinate implementation of any sub-studies as may be planned by the influenza program
- Work closely with the Ministry of Health to sensitize and coordinate IDSR disease surveillance activities at the hospital
- Assist in monitoring and evaluation activities to document activities and provide quality assurance to improve program service delivery
- Ensure that all relevant records are properly kept and updated
- Monitor and supervise rational use of supplies.
- Maintain equipment in good condition and submit regular inventory reports of the same.
- Conduct regular Continuous Medical Education and On-job trainings to other staff in the unit and the program.
- Compile and submit weekly updated and accurate HIS reports.
- Carry out other relevant and/or requested duties as may be required by the supervisor.
Key Result Areas:
- Surveillance of Acute febrile illness is carried out effectively and efficiently through proper physical examination, laboratory specimen collection and data collection and recording.
- Ensuring proper storage and transport of all samples collected to the laboratory within the camp and KEMRI when required.
- Ensure monitoring and evaluation activities of the project are well documented and provide quality assurance to improve the program’s service delivery.
- Diploma in Clinical Medicine from a recognized institution.
Required Experience & Competencies
- At least two years’ experience working in a busy clinical health unit
- Must be registered by the authorizing board (Clinical officers council of Kenya)
- Team player and cultural sensitivity is required.
- Ability to work in hardship areas (Previous experience in a Camp setting will be an added advantage).
- Computer literate
- Experience in clinical research will be an added advantage though it’s not a must.
- Evidence of involvement in community health work a plus
- Please make sure to include copy of Certificate of Good Conduct in your application.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The
IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined
in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and
Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and
enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse,
Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity,
Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowance.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes.