Increase your chances of landing a job interview, get a free verbal critique of your resume send it to email@example.com with REVIEW in caps as the subject line. Send your resume for possible placement and free job application guidelines.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Main purpose of job:
The Finance Assistant will join the BHC Corporate Services in providing support to the wider High Commission and will support the Finance Manager in managing the cash book, providing cash payments for the mission, checking payment batches, preparing the monthly local staff payroll and maintaining accounts records. The Assistant will also play a co-ordination role between Nairobi and the Regional Hubs in Pretoria and Manila. The successful candidate will need to balance competing demands from a diverse range of customers within the High Commission. He/she will need to be a self-starter with the ability to provide a quality service and deliver at pace. S/he should also be an effective communicator and demonstrate skills in working well with others.
Roles and responsibilities
Payroll preparation and returns 40%
- Timely payroll preparation and payment for over 200 staff liaising with the GTPC
- Preparation of payslips and annual returns;
- Preparation of reports to aid in the submission of statutory deduction and facilitating remission on time
- Liaising with the HR department to obtain payroll inputs on time
Cash Office Management 30%
- Maintaining overall responsibility for the management and control of cash payments;
- Ensuring cash thresholds are in accordance to policy
- Undertaking daily and monthly cash reconciliation and availing details to aid in surprise checks
- Maintaining records of local USD & Kenya Shilling cash transactions on the Cash book (Network Post Account spreadsheet);
Other Finance Administrative Support 20%
- Weeding/Clean-up of aging accounts records;
- Report on monthly Key Performance Indicator (KPI’s) on behalf of the Finance team,
- Lead correspondent between BHC and bank;
- Raising invoices for staff debts and forwarding to the Global Transaction Processing Centre (GTPC), based in the Philippines to raise debit memos and make staff payment;
- Supporting the Finance Analyst to ensure that accounts filing system is up to date at all times;
Co-ordination with Hubs 10%
- Liaison with the GTPC on invoice, charging and other payment queries.
- Provide cover for Finance Manager and Finance Analyst where possible.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
Post cash box
- Minimum CPA Section 4 (Part II) or ACCA Part II completed
- Minimum 3 Years Finance or Accounting experience
- Experience in managing large payroll processes
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance will be an added advantage
- Excellent IT skills (a working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and of payroll software is essential)
- Good communication skills, attention to detail and initiative.
- A flexible approach and good team working skills
Learning and development opportunities :
The British High Commission provides in-house training courses through the year, and offers training courses at regional hubs in Pretoria and Manila.
7:15 AM -4:00 PM – Monday to Thursday 7:45 AM -13:00PM – Friday
Members of staff are entitled to paid annual leave, which is earned, from the day they commence employment. Entitlements are as follows:
Grades A2 (L) 25 days
In addition to annual leave, the BHC normally observes no fewer than 9 and no more than 14 Kenyan and British public and religious holidays in a year. These vary from year to year and are at the discretion of the High Commissioner. A list of holidays is published each year.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Nairobi are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Kenya.
- It is essential that the applicants already have the right to live and work in Kenya without the need to apply for a work permit
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.