Increase your chances of landing a job interview, get a free verbal critique of your resume send it to email@example.com with REVIEW in caps as the subject line. Send your resume for possible placement and free job application guidelines.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Established in 1993, Tanager, an ACDI/VOCA affiliate, is an international nonprofit organization that brings people together at the table, on the ground, and across supply chains to co-create economic and social opportunities that change lives. Based in Washington, D.C., Tanager works with partners and ACDI/VOCA family of companies to expand market access and unlock the full potential of shared market opportunities that result in reliable supply chains, stable incomes, healthy families, and resilient communities.
Gender Expert, Kenya
Tanager, an ACDI/VOCA affiliate, is promptly seeking a Gender Expert for Impacting Gender & Nutrition through Innovative Technical Exchange in Agriculture (IGNITE) project funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. This 5-year project will improve household nutrition and women’s empowerment by strengthening African institutions’ ability to integrate nutrition and gender in agriculture interventions and business practices.
The Gender Expert will provide thought leadership on the development of tools, resources, and models that will facilitate the integration of gender into agriculture interventions. S/he will lead provision of technical services to IGNITE clients, supporting them to design, implement, and monitor gender-sensitive business strategies and agriculture activities in Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Nigeria, and Tanzania.
· Lead the analysis of research and field assessments to identify gender-specific challenges and opportunities for female social and economic empowerment, particularly in household decision-making.
· Co-create the design and implementation of gender activities that employ inter-generational and male engagement approaches.
· Design and conduct participatory training and workshops on gender mainstreaming for clients.
· Collaborate with evaluation partners in designing tools and assessments that identify most effective and efficient models for increasing women’s empowerment in agriculture.
· Advise on and support development, collection, and analysis of indicators for measuring gender gaps and empowerment; identify and mitigate risks for intended and unintended impacts; support collection of sex- and age-disaggregated data.
· Support clients on development, refinement, alignment, and/or roll-out of policies and procedures to promote gender mainstreaming and equitable business practices.
· Contribute to development of case studies that make the business case for integrating gender into agriculture activities and business plans.
· Develop and test tools that integrate both gender and nutrition into the design and implementation of agriculture activities.
· Advanced degree in sociology, anthropology, women’s studies, gender studies, or other related discipline.
· Minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible experience in sub-Saharan Africa, in at least 3 different countries; with an international NGO mainstreaming gender equity into food security, nutrition, or agriculture programs.
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience facilitating training on gender, leading gender analysis and/or gender audits, providing gender technical support to organizations and institutions; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Proven successful ability to conduct gender analyses, including leading research teams, facilitating focus groups, and conducting interviews.
· Experience working with agricultural market systems, rural producers, farmers’ associations, agribusinesses, private sector agricultural production, marketing, or sales, and/or governments.
· Demonstrated ability to develop evidence-based recommendations and interventions to promote gender equity and women’s empowerment.
· Demonstrated knowledge of social and behavior change communication theory and techniques.
· Understanding of nutrition-sensitive agriculture concepts in Africa and ability to integrate a nutrition-sensitive lens into gender approaches.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including demonstrated ability to write required documents, analyses and reports in a clear, concise, well-organized manner.
· Fluency in English, written and oral, required; French language skills strongly desired.
· Ability to travel in Sub-Saharan Africa for up to 40%.
HOW TO APPLY: