Increase your chances of landing a job interview, get a free verbal critique of your resume send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with REVIEW in caps as the subject line. Send your resume for possible placement and free job application guidelines.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Virunga Power is a renewable energy company focused on creating a new model for the generation and distribution of power in rural sub-Saharan Africa. We develop, invest, own, and operate grid-connected and isolated grid power utility projects across East and Southern Africa. The company’s primary focus is to create a sustainable, affordable, and profitable solution at scale to improve energy access for rural communities in sub-Saharan Africa.
Virunga Power is currently developing and investing in renewable energy generation and local rural distribution projects of up to 20 MW installed capacity in Kenya, Tanzania, Burundi, Rwanda, and Zambia. Our current technological focus is on run-of-river small hydroelectric power plants, though the company also has future interest in solar PV and other renewable sources.
Are you interested in applying your accounting and finance experience towards creating sustainable solutions to sub-Saharan Africa’s energy access challenges?
Do you want to be part of an innovative business building and operating renewable energy projects that bring power to rural communities across the region?
About the Role
The role of the Financial Accountant will support the company’s financial management, budgeting, accounting, and financial reporting. The successful candidate will possess strong analytical, financial reporting, organizational, problem-solving, and leadership skills, and will be dedicated to good corporate governance. He or she will have a working knowledge of internationally accepted accounting principles, use of accounting software and preparation of financial statements and reports and will possess high standards of professionalism and integrity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Working closely with and reporting to Virunga Power’s Financial Manager and the executive management team, the Financial Accountant will be entrusted with the following duties and responsibilities:
- Assist the Finance Manager in ensuring accurate maintenance of all ledgers & sub ledgers; account payables, account receivables and bank accounts.
- Ensure journals and account reconciliations are completed accurately and timely.
- Assist the Finance Manager in project cost accounting for projects in development for eventual capitalization.
- Ensure compliance with internal controls and implementation of policies to safeguard company resources
- Handle statutory audits for Virunga and project companies
- Support the development team with the accounting, finance and tax functions in various projects.
- Assist in annual budget planning for Virunga and the project companies.
- Accurate and timely filing of all taxes for the various projects in different countries
- Keep abreast on changes in tax legislation and advise accordingly
- Maintain vendor files and related accounting records; leases and contracts
- Maintain the petty cash register
- Uploading and posting of transactions in the accounting system and performing monthly close of book procedures on all company ledgers
- Preparation of monthly bank reconciliations, project expense system and project ledger reconciliations.
- Performing end of year close of book procedures in preparation for the close of the year, preparation of draft financial statements for all the related companies and filing of annual partnership and company returns.
The ideal candidate would have the following skills and credentials:
Education and Experience:
- Two plus years of experience in a similar role.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Accounting, Economics, Finance, or similar.
- Past experience working with a big 4 audit firm is an added advantage.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word), QuickBooks, and other relevant accounting software.
- Experience with accounting for infrastructure projects and/or energy project development, especially Power & Utilities.
- CPA (K) Finalist and a member of ICPAK.
- Working knowledge of IFRS
- Strong analytical skills including excel, with an appreciation of financial management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective organizational skills.
- Commitment to professionalism and high standards of integrity and ethics.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal instruction.
- Demonstrated interest in renewable energy, international development, and social impact.
- Fluency in English required; fluency in French is an added advantage
If you are interested and feel that you meet the criteria outlined above, please send a copy of your current CV and brief note to email@example.com with the subject “Financial Accountant – Kenya”.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.