Increase your chances of landing a job interview, get a free verbal critique of your resume send it to email@example.com with REVIEW in caps as the subject line. Send your resume for possible placement and free job application guidelines.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Who we are: Busara is research and advisory firm dedicated to advancing and applying behavioral science in the Global South. We work with governments, NGOs, private companies and academics to understand human behavior, and design solutions to overcome behavioral barriers to products, programs and policies as they scale.
The position: The Editorial Lead supports Busara’s new Communications division from its headquarters in Nairobi and is responsible for ensuring that a proposal concept or draft turns into a fully formed, professional proposal that is 100% ready to be sent to an external client, funder, or partner.
With a team of Engagement Directors constantly bringing new opportunities into the pipeline, we need an Editorial Lead who can work with the projects division to quickly turn a concept outline into a fully formed, well-written proposal to a funder, corporate client, or partner. You will do this by understanding our clients and engaging them through crafting context specific proposals as well as by applying professional rigor and communication expertise.
Below we outline core responsibilities of an Editorial Lead:
- Write proposals, owning the quality, content flow, use of language, tone of voice, clarity of information, spelling, and grammar
- Read and process Request For Proposals (RFP’s) to completion, collaborate with internal experts and projects team providing information for the proposal
- Build, communicate and execute identified proposals, working with internal subject matter experts to complete each proposal
- Research and scope out RFP’s to ensure you understand client need as well as inform and add value to the expected end result
- Plan and prioritize work to self-manage multiple projects
- Adapt writing style to fit with requirements/audience and ensure what you write is correct and conveys the intended message as clearly as possible
- Edit and proofread copy for reports, projects and articles based on client feedback/direction
- Identify trends and categories across each proposal to create a more efficient proposal writing system that can be owned by individual project teams
- Create proposal writing best practice guides for internal distribution
The ideal candidate has the uncanny ability to ask for funds and actually get them. Enjoys putting together proposals to create an experience that engages the reader to do something specific and a keen eye for detail. In particular, we are looking for candidates with:
- Flawless writing skills, with an ability to easily translate complicated concepts and project plans into writing
- Ability to write in a clear, concise style with a solid understanding of copy and editorial nuances and tonality
- Experience in the development sector, behavioral science, or related fields
- Action-oriented and self-starting, with an ability to quickly grasp new concepts.
- Mastery of Google Slides, Sheets, and Docs
- Proven track record of writing long form articles across various industries
- Excellent critical thinking skills and the ability to exercise good judgment and solve problems
- Working knowledge of project budgets
- An ability to quickly utilize our brand guidelines and document templates
- Ability to work with and inspire people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds, and experiences
- 5+ years of writing experience particularly in grant and proposal writing
- Proven experience successfully writing proposals that have led to new business
- Degree/Diploma in a relevant field preferably communication or journalism
- Excellent critical thinking skills and the ability to exercise good judgment and solve problems quickly and effectively.