Increase your chances of landing a job interview, get a free verbal critique of your resume send it to email@example.com with REVIEW in caps as the subject line. Send your resume for possible placement and free job application guidelines.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Closing date: 02 Jan 2020
Senior Communications Specialist, USAID/Kenya and East Africa Development Outreach and Communications Support program, Somalia
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com .
Please note: Only Kenyan citizens with native Somali language skills are eligible for this position
The Senior Communications Specialist will be a part of a 7-person communications team supporting the USAID Kenya and East Africa (USAID/KEA) and USAID Somalia Development Outreach and Communications (DOC) Support Program. S/he will work full-time at MSIs Nairobi field office with frequent and significant travel to Somalia.
The Specialist will support the Chief of Party (COP) in the management of the project. S/he will provide technical and managerial leadership and oversight. S/he will participate in the full scope of strategic communication support tasksincluding the development and production of communications strategies, campaigns, events, press relations, information products and publications, social media management, photography/videography and writing.
- Maintain a clear understanding of the missions bilateral portfolio and structure, as well as mission and Agency communications objectives and communicate this information appropriately and effectively.
- Keeps abreast and disseminates information on the status and progress of the development of news media in and about Somalia
- Provide preparation, supervision and leadership in the development and production of all materials, specifically fact sheets, calendars, regional brochures, PowerPoint presentations, daily media monitoring reports, photo and success stories and daily social media content. Pay close attention to the maintenance of USAIDS preferred style.
- Management, promotion and dissemination of publications such as calendars and regional brochures.
- Work closely with and manage the Somalia Communications Specialist to develop and approve daily content, providing quality assurance, including proofreading and link accuracy. Assist with the creation and launch creative social campaigns, measuring and tracking effectiveness of digital communications, adjusting content as needed to improve performance.
- Manage relationships with Somali local and regional media that will increase coverage and understanding of USAIDs work in Somalia, including developing and managing media contacts and providing newsworthy information to inform communications approaches.
- Creation and promotion of campaigns to Somali local and regional media and audiences
- Manage external consultants including editors, graphics designers, translators, interpreters, photographers and videographers, contribute to major writing projects and serve as a chief writer where necessary. Ensure consistency across all areas of editorial production. Write content for newsletters, press releases, websites, collateral and other printed material as required. Lead the conception and production of new publications.
- Ensure systematic collaboration and information gathering with communications colleagues from implementing partners through regular meetings and check-ins.
- Backstop USAID Somalia technical offices, including reviewing quarterly and annual reports of technical teams for content ideas.
- Engage in professional development activities independently or with the team.
Operational and Managerial Responsibilities:
- Serve as Acting Chief of Party when the Chief of Party is unavailable. Liaise with the COR and DOC office on communications activities.
- Manage one full-time staff member, assuming quality assurance and accountability for the timely, quality submission of assigned tasks, accomplishing work objectives and priorities; and overseeing professional development. Encourage efficiency in delivery of tasks by continually monitoring activities against goals; minimizing duplication of personnel activities; and defining and using standard operating procedures.
- Oversees coordination of field work in line with the missions planned strategic communications approach. Manage editorial calendar and timelines for the creation and execution of content emanating from field work.
- Along with COP, supervise the work of publishing contractors and vendors, including editors, graphic designers, printers, transcribers, translators and writers.
- Assist in the development, socialization and management of digital asset and project management and filing systems.
- Along with COP, oversees the development of project reports, annual work plans, presentations and other documents as required by USAID and MSI.
- Participate in strategy development, specifically providing hands-on management during the research process. Contribute to measurement and analytics approaches to track success metrics and determine the impact of communication efforts.
- In conjunction with the COP and other staff, build productive relationships with USAID and their implementing partners.
- Demonstrates strong coaching/mentoring skills, regularly providing helpful feedback and advice to others in the office
- Bachelors degree required in relevant field, Masters preferred
- At least 8 years of relevant professional experience in journalism or public relations, including demonstrated experience implementing communication strategies and outreach campaigns that successfully raise the profile of projects or commercial companies
- Significant work experience with non-governmental organizations, donors and/or mass media, understands the international development space and has a demonstrated, broad knowledge of digital (websites, social networking, email and blogging), photography and videography that s/he can seamlessly apply to multiple scenarios
- Experience in building the capacity of USAID projects on how to communicate and report their progress and successes is highly preferred
- Deep understanding of Somali culture, geography and development issues
- Experience working and traveling in Somalia
- Relationships with news media and the ability to pitch and shape earned media opportunities
- Excellent written and verbal fluency in English is required. Somali language skills preferred
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends on occasion
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
To apply: Please visit our website, www.msiworldwide.com