Increase your chances of landing a job interview, get a free verbal critique of your resume send it to email@example.com with REVIEW in caps as the subject line. Send your resume for possible placement and free job application guidelines.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
About Advocacy Accelerator
The Advocacy Accelerator is an initiative that seeks to build an interactive community of advocates in Africa that fosters engagement, learning and sharing of resources and experiences. The objective of the Advocacy Accelerator is to strengthen advocacy capacity, alignment, and impact in Africa by providing in-person and online platforms for advocates and their supporters to share experiences, evidence, and approaches. To achieve this ambitious agenda, the Advocacy Accelerator seeks to recruit the right personnel with the desired skill sets, knowledge and expertise. It is supported by the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation.
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Executive Director is a very visible and outward facing position, responsible for leadership, oversight, partnerships, fundraising, facilitation, and high-level advocacy engagement with policymakers and donors. He/she will also support an Advisory Board and will oversee and ensure the management and accountability of staff.
Strategy development and planning
- Develop and lead implementation of the Advocacy Accelerator’s strategy, working in collaboration with the Advocacy Accelerator Advisory Board. This will build on research and engagement with partners that have informed initial priority activities for the Advocacy Accelerator, including: (1) online platforms for accessing advocacy and organizational development information and resources; (2) in-person platforms for advocates to engage with and learn from one another; and (3) referrals to advocacy and organizational development experts and technical assistance providers.
- Expand and build on existing online resource and exchange platforms to increase opportunities for advocates across the globe to access and share advocacy and organizational development information, resources, and expertise.
Programme and financial oversight
- Ensure efficient operation of the entity and all financial, human resources, compliance, management, and monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) systems.
- Closely manage financial resources to ensure transparent and effective use of resources. Oversee and ensure sustainability of the Advocacy Accelerator budget, in partnership with Amref Health Africa financial and administrative staff.
- Through effective management, supervision and accountability practices, ensure that staff and consultants supporting the Advocacy Accelerator complete the day-to-day program and administrative operations of the Advocacy Accelerator.
- Support staff under his/her supervision to develop and measure key performance indicator
Resource mobilization and programme development
- Attract funds to support the Advocacy Accelerator’s work and long-term sustainability. Building on the initial financial support from the Hewlett Foundation, the Executive Director will create, oversee, and implement a business plan to ensure sustainable resources for the continuation and growth of the Advocacy Accelerator, including building on and expanding pre-existing engagement with foundation partners and network stakeholders.
Networking and partnership
- Establish and grow partnerships with advocacy stakeholders across the region and globally to utilize, engage, and interact with the Advocacy Accelerator through virtual and in-person platforms. Ensure that these online and in-person platforms are effectively used and valued by advocacy partners and donors across the region.
- Serve as the primary external representative for the Advocacy Accelerator by participating in and speaking at meetings and conferences, engaging with the media, and partnering with high-level stakeholders and donors.
- Engage with partners to identify and utilize opportunities for advocates to engage with and learn from each other about effective advocacy tools, tactics, and practices.
- Develop and submit timely reports i.e. monthly, activity reports and Advisory Board reports
- Manage and support the operations and governance functions of the Advocacy Accelerator Advisory Board, which include advocacy leaders from across the globe who help to inform and guide the strategy, operations, and priorities of the Advocacy Accelerator.
- Serve as Ex-officio of the Advocacy Accelerator Advisory Board.
- Manage the overall relationship with the host organisation.
Team building and staff management
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters;
- Supervise, train, mentor and coach staff
How to Apply
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit a Cover letter in PDF specifying how they meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in applying for this role and what you hope to bring to the Advocacy Accelerator (Not exceeding 2 pages) and an updated CV in PDF (Not exceeding 3 pages) with subject line: Amref/ED – Advocacy Accelerator/2019/12-01 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process.
Amref Health Africa is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share this commitment. Amref is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.