Increase your chances of landing a job interview, get a free verbal critique of your resume send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with REVIEW in caps as the subject line. Send your resume for possible placement and free job application guidelines.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
To coordinate and manage scientific activities for INFORM, an initiative that aims at providing national and subnational scientific evidence for planning, guiding health programmes and policy.
REPORTS TO: INFORM Director
SUPERVISES: Liaises with study teams and scientists within INFORM
BUDGET AND RESOURCE RESPONSIBILITY: Supports the projects and programs under INFORM in responsibility for the study budget and assets
Accurate health information is the cornerstone of effective decision-making and the reliable assessment of disease burden. The design and funding of many health programmes in Africa now require more elaborate targeting of limited resources to improve impact and sustain recent gains. INFORM was established to generate detailed country-level data-evidence for decision making by pooling layers of information into evidence platforms. INFORM work feeds directly into national government policies and regional health networks. This role will work towards enhancing and expanding the existing network while creating new strategies for future engagement.
The post holder will have a very high level of responsibility within INFORM, participating in proposal development under various senior investigators, preparing country briefs, building a science network within the industry, professional and the national governments. They are also expected to communicate various project proposal, presenting various research work undertaken under INFORM. The post holder will need to be self-sufficient and be able to work unsupervised with an unpredictable timescale.
The post holder will:
- Work with Director of INFORM and senior scientist within population health to develop goals and strategies for the INFORM
- Be responsible for developing INFORM’s calendar of activities in consultation with the Director and senior team members
- Manage and coordinate INFORM’s science and operational activities internally and externally including organizing project meetings in Kenya and overseas
- Be responsible for the management of INFORM branding internally and externally, including the website and its contents, and developing promotional materials, profiling at international conferences and coordinating with external institutes.
- To represent the projects at internal, local and international meetings, to disserminate INFORM’s policy relevant research outputs
- Participate in developing new projects and proposals consistent with the INFORMS goals, strategies and priorities to secure funds to support country engagement plans
- Participate in developing study protocols, procedures, SOPs and MOUs, for the network and allied projects
- Participate in developing budgets for projects and programs housed within INFORM by determining staffing, training, and equipment needs
- Represent INFORM on the Data Governance Committee of the KEMRI/WTRP and the Nairobi Unit Operations meeting
- Track expenditures on all INFORM grants in consultation with the Finance Offices in Nairobi, Kilifi and Oxford
- Contributing to collaborative decisions that affect INFORM
- Undertake other duties as assigned by the INFORM Director
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & COMPETENCIES:
- A PhD in demography/public health/Epidemiology/Public or Health policy or equivalent speciality or have submitted their PhD thesis.
- Atleast 5 years of experience in management of large scientific or technical projects in Africa
- At least 3 years’ experience in the public engagement/ policy work in sub-Saharan Africa
- Demonstrable experience in writing science/technical reports in English
- Demonstrable experience in organizing large meetings and dissemination of meeting outcomes
- Demonstarte leadership, organisational and planning ability
- A high standard of written scientific English
- Computer literacy in project management tools and Microsoft applications
- Experience in science communication and public engagement
- Previous experience in health programme leadership, funding application or in proposal writing
- Experience in server or website design or content management
- Experience in health research
- Fluency in a second language (French, Portuguese and/or Arabic) in addition to English
- Knowledge in mapping or Geographic Information Science
- Based at the Nairobi office of the KEMRI/Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Kenya.
- Regular travel, including outside of working hours, within and out of the country to participate in regional meetings
- Be available to work flexibly with planned travel
How to Apply
To apply for this post you must be a registered user. Log into your account then go to Vacancies, view the post and click on the button: “Apply for this job”.
All applicants are required to state their current/last salary.
Candidates must supply an email and telephone contact that will be used when offering interviews. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce ORIGINALS of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates, original transcripts and testimonials, detailed curriculum vitae and valid clearance certificate (certificate of good conduct) during the interviews.
The application closing date is 26th January 2020.
KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is an equal opportunity employer. Direct or indirect canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. KWTRP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).