Increase your chances of landing a job interview, get a free verbal critique of your resume send it to email@example.com with REVIEW in caps as the subject line. Send your resume for possible placement and free job application guidelines.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
The AECF is a non-profit organization, unlocking the potential of the private sector to positively impact the lives of rural and marginalized communities in Africa. With the vision to build ‘’A prosperous and Enterprising Rural Africa’’, AECF provides high-risk, small and growing businesses with patient, low-cost financing and advisory support services to pilot, refine and scale their operations and ideas.
Through the advisory support services, we help our portfolio companies to prepare for and attract followon funding to enable them grow and scale, using “AECF Connect” which was established with support from Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida). Since its inception, AECF Connect has supported 12 investees (through 18 transactions) to raise US$ 45 million. We’re now going through unprecedented growth at the moment – new funds, new portfolio companies, new geographies and an
energized team to help get us there. Key to the forward momentum is increasing our investment readiness and facilitation services, a key market gap for our portfolio companies and other SMEs in subSaharan Africa.
Purpose of the role:
The Investment Analyst will work primarily on screening and evaluating investment-ready portfolio companies and support them through investment transactions and due diligence. You will also be involved in supporting portfolio management, portfolio performance tracking, and assisting the Investment Advisory team with investment research while contributing as needed to other tasks and internal assignments. The role will see the Investment Analyst work closely with Portfolio Officers, who are responsible for the design, structuring, onboarding and subsequent management of the AECFs investment projects.
The role requires a good understanding of the investment space in sub-Saharan Africa, a financial modeling guru and a business growth expert, all in one. The ideal candidate for this role should be selfdriven, results-oriented and action-focused with an affinity for impact investing and be willing to excel in a highly entrepreneurial environment.
- Conduct extensive due diligence, reference calls, researching industry sectors, interviewing the founding teams, analyzing historical financials and checking financial models to assess investment
readiness and support investment negotiations.
- Provide technical investment advisory support to the portfolio team while undertaking due diligence and contracting of investees
- Participating in investment negotiations, including financial valuation and return analyses discussions and making informed decisions.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of operational plans and analytical tools to drive service delivery efficiencies through continuous review of processes and systems towards building an
efficient investment facilitation process.
- Apply creative and critical thinking to identify and implement ways of increasing the efficiency of the AECF’s investment and portfolio management processes.
- Conduct industry and market assessments and reviews for key investment trends and proactively inform the growth of the organization. Stay abreast of key developments in the Finance Investment space and resource allocation innovations and interventions in sub–Saharan Africa, in order to inform technical support activities.
This includes frequent interaction with stakeholders various levels relevant to this area as well as multilateral partners and performing market research, data mining, business intelligence, and valuation computations
- Understanding macroeconomics and external factors affecting the business strategies adopted and markets serviced by AECFSupport engagement with new investors suitable for meeting our portfolio
companies’ capital needs.
- Periodically evaluate progress towards the completion of project deliverables to verify alignment with strategic directions and defined targets in liaison with the Knowledge and Insights team. Ensure
excellence within-budget and on-time delivery of activity and financial results and reports.
Required experience, qualifications and skills:
- Up to 4 years work experience in a financial institution, particularly in investment banking, venture capital, management consultancy; experience working in and with early and growth-stage companies in sub-Saharan Africa strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Statistics, Finance or Business from a recognized university.
- Professional qualification in Finance ( CPA, ACCA) or related field is mandatory
- Certified Financial analyst (C.F.A.) or other applicable certifications will be an added advantage
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills able to detect trends early and use industry expertise to
identify ways to captialise on these opportunities.
- Attention to details and ability to make sound decisions.
- Computer savvy and having the ability to develop complex financial models and analyse them.
- Familiarity with data query/data management tools is extremely helpful (Access, SQL, Business Objects)
- Keen interest in development finance and multicultural environments.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Fluency in English required proficiency in additional languages – French is preferred.
- Self motivating and confident individual
The AECF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The AECF considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
How To Apply
If you believe you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role, please submit your application quoting in the subject line the Job Title “Investment Analyst – AECF/IA”, and attach a detailed CV with correct e-mail address and telephone contacts.
Kindly note that the applications will remain open until filled, address to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted