Would you like to get more call backs when applying for jobs? send your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Reports to: Regional Monitoring and Evaluation Manager
Duration: 3 months
TechnoServe Background: TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
Program Description: Since March 2018, TechnoServe in partnership with Partners in Food Solutions through the Alliance for Inclusive and Nutritious Food Processing (AINFP) has been transferring technology and know-how to food processors in Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Zambia with the ultimate aim of creating a more competitive food processing sector that generates inclusive economic growth.
The program is a partnership between United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Partners in Food Solutions (PFS), and TechnoServe whose goal is to increase the production of safer, more nutritious foods that prioritizes procurement from local smallholder farmers and increases the availability of these food products to base-of-the-pyramid (BOP) consumers.
Our theory of change posits that this can be achieved by connecting small to medium enterprise (SME) food processors with appropriate technical assistance, local suppliers, distribution channels and financing. The access to finance component is implemented in partnership with Initiative for Smallholder Finance (ISF) Advisers.
Data Management being a critical aspect of the program, including data collection, capture, storage, processing, analysis, reporting and dissemination, the program intends to engage a keen, analytical and methodical Intern who will support in updating and development of the required databases, including data merging, analysis and reporting.
Key role and responsibilities
Overall, the selected intern will support in data management and analysis for AINFP.
Specifically, the intern will support AINFP M&E and country teams in:
- Updating of AINFP Monitoring an Evaluation data collection and tracking tool.
- Daily program data updating and management.
- Data collection, cleaning, analysis and interpretation.
- Undertaking statistical analysis of the program data, and identifying relevant trends, patterns and providing a summary of the key finding.
- Merging different data sets (both qualitative and quantitative data) and undertaking trend analysis and visualization over different time periods (monthly and quarterly).
- Developing a report, according to the agreed reporting plan, including visualizations and narrative interpretations of the findings as may be required.
Required skills and experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, or related field.
- At least 1year experience in data collection, large and complex data management and analysis.
- Advanced computer skills, including analytical software (e.g. Advanced Excel, SPSS, STATA).
- Strong analytical, report writing and presentation skills.
- Knowledge and experience in data collection and database management, with knowledge of different data collection methodologies.
- Knowledge of web-based surveys (e.g ONA, Kobo tool kit) is desirable.
- Strong inter-personal skills, including skills in coordination and ability to work in teams.
- Ability to present concise ideas/ findings, translate the data into an understandable document, write and speak clearly, easily communicating complex ideas.
- Ability to look at the numbers, trends, and data and get to concise conclusions based on the findings.
- Data is precise hence ability to be vigilant in data analysis to arrive at correct conclusions.
- Ability to work with large amounts of data and analyze large datasets: facts, figures, and number crunching.
Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core Competencies include:
- Integrity and honesty: Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent himself or herself for personal gain.
- Team Work/ Relationships: Works co-operatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member and/or leader, to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Learning attitude: Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning; applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
- Diversity/Inclusiveness: Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation for diversity and supports diversity efforts. Interacts effectively with and inclusively with people of all races, cultures, ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, ages, and genders.
- Communication: Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Listens effectively; shares information, ideas and arguments; adjusts terminology, language and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates open exchange of ideas and information; uses appropriate non-verbal communication.
- Decision making/Problem Solving: Is able to analyze situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution. Is able to make effective decisions on a day-to-day basis, taking ownership of decisions, demonstrating sound judgment in escalating issues where necessary.
- Results Oriented/High-Quality Deliverables: Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals. Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
- Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes and controls activities; identifies, integrates and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and/or time) to accomplish goals. Prioritizes work according to the program or department’s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
- Business Acumen: The ability to use information, ask the right questions and take decisions that make an impact on the overall business performance.
Job Specific / Technical Competencies include:
- Computer Literacy: Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use specific computer programs or applications for own functional area. Has the ability to improve performance by integrating new and existing technology into the workplace.
- Analysis, Research, Report Writing: Experience in business planning and analysis, modeling for feasibility and execution. Able to analyze and express oneself clearly in business writing.
- Innovative Mindset: Curious inquiries, asks questions and seeks out information from multiple sources, learns from mistakes, sees change as an opportunity.
- Internal Client Focus: Client Focus is based on the ability to understand the organization’s needs and concerns in the short to long-term and to provide sound recommendations and/or solutions
Please submit your application (by email only) to email@example.com with the position title placed in the subject line.
Please include (1) cover letter describing your interest, (2) curriculum vitae.
Please include all requirements in a single document (pdf).
Applications will be treated confidentially.
Deadline for applications is 18th February 2020
Note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
TechnoServe encourages diversity in all levels and across all facets of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes