Would you like to get more call backs when applying for jobs? send your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
A career at the BBC offers you an opportunity to tell stories that can change lives. At BBC Africa it is our ambition to showcase the diversity of ideas and aspirations from across the continent.
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. We are looking for a Senior Broadcast journalist with excellent written and spoken Kirundi and English language to join the BBC Great Lakes Service team in Nairobi.
BBC Great Lakes Service provides world-class digital and radio content that makes sense of news and events in the Great Lakes region and the world for our local and global audiences. The successful candidate will be expected to work with the BBC Great Lakes radio and online teams in the region and London.
As one of our senior multi-media journalists, you’ll have a crucial role in leading our engagement with the audience. By joining BBC Great Lakes, you’ll be a part of the team for a leading international broadcaster, the BBC World Service, which broadcasts to Africa in 12 languages: English, French, Hausa, Igbo, Kinyarwanda, Kirundi, Somali, Pidgin, Swahili, Afaan Oromo, Tigrinya and Amharic.
To work as part of the editorial team responsible for carrying out the main editorial, managerial and administrative tasks and to ensure output on radio and online. You will supervise production work, ensure all output conforms to BBC editorial guidelines and is engaging, interesting and of relevance to the target area. Working alongside the Editor and together acting as a point of editorial reference, you will provide editorial leadership as required. Training and day to day supervision of Producers and other production staff is part of this role as well as working as Duty Editor for specific broadcasts or periods of time, as required. A fundamental part of this role is to ensure that the radio and online offer is engaging, coherent, upholds BBC News’ editorial values and further establishes BBC Great Lakes Service as ground breaking interactive media especially amongst our young and women audiences.
Are you the right candidate?
- A full command and up to date knowledge of Kirundi. Fluent in English and French, both in written and spoken form and the ability to communicate effectively
- Wide, thorough and up to date familiarity with the areas to which the Service broadcasts and an in-depth understanding of the area/s history, politics, social issues and culture as well as the changing needs of the audience
- An extensive knowledge of the media environment in the target area – particularly digital media – and how it is developing
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of news and current affairs in the target area. A thorough knowledge of, and interest in, international and British current affairs, as they affect the target area/s
- You must have a track record of not being involved in the politics of the Great Lakes Region
- Excellent broadcasting voice and appropriate presentation style to communicate effectively with the listeners
- Ability to write, adapt and translate with accuracy, clarity and style, appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media
- Substantial recent experience as a broadcast or print journalist
Please see the attached Job Description for more information.
Contract: Full time – Continuing (Permanent)
Local terms and conditions apply
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Kenya.