Would you like to get more call backs when applying for jobs? send your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
In Business Africa is a weekly programme broadcast on BBC World News. It is produced by a team of journalists working internationally and managed by the Business & Economics Unit, a specialist unit that is part of Newsgathering.
The weekly show is filmed entirely on location in Africa and covers a wide range of feature stories about the changes underway on the continent, from technology to transport, the environment to the arts, with a particular focus on young entrepreneurs. Their stories are told in a variety of ways – from traditional packages and interviews to self-authored pieces and digital-style VTs.
The Shoot-Edit (Camera Operator/Picture Editor) will be responsible for filming and editing packages, interviews and programme links with presenter Nancy Kacungira. The In Business Africa team travels frequently around Africa gathering material for the programme. As the show is based on features rather than news, there is a strong focus on visual flair and creativity, particularly in the treatment of interviews.
This Shoot Edit post is a very flexible and multi-skilled role. It will involve:
- Filming on location
- Editing, including to music
- Producing basic graphics
- Working with social media colleagues
- Shooting material of the highest quality, primarily for recorded packages and interviews, providing a representative visual and audio account of events.
- Being creative and using the tools at your disposal, contributing ideas to enhance the visual and journalistic content of the story, with due consideration of the different styles and techniques of the output.
- Maintaining an archive of footage generated locally by the BBC, and be able to receive or send video material to and from Africa through the appropriate media.
Are you the right candidate?
Weekly packaging is a key part of this job. We will be looking for:
- Significant experience working as a camera operator in daily news or features – shooting TV and digital packages to the highest standard to tight output deadlines.
- Significant experience of editing that material on FCPX, demonstrating imagination and creativity in the assembling of packages and interviews, using graphics and music as required.
- The ability to operate current broadcast technical equipment on location, combined with a desire to keep abreast with the latest developments in video production equipment, technology and skills.
- A working knowledge of English in order to work with the field and central reporters
- A good grasp of the latest developments in Africa.
- Sound editorial judgement.
- An eye for finding interesting stories.
- Ability to devise treatments which surprise and engage the audience.
- Understanding of how a TV edit is different to a digital edit and how to work with the reporters to get their TV packages and digital videos over the line
- The ability to work under pressure and possibly in difficult environments when shooting on location. The ideal candidate will have experience of working in Africa or other developing economies.
6 month attachment / fixed term contract (with possibility of extension in the event of the programme being funded beyond October)
Local terms and conditions apply
Based in Nairobi or Johannesburg
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Kenya or South Africa.