Would you like to get more call backs when applying for jobs? send your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Activity: USAID Kenya / East Africa Journey to Self-Reliance (J2SR) Mission Support Program
Implementer: SoCha LLC
Company Background: SoCha (a portmanteau of Social and Change) is an independent Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (ME&L) firm that provides bespoke solutions to social challenges. Since our inception in 2010, we have grown into a fully-fledged ME&L services firm that specializes in advancing innovative methodologies and changing the way donors find solutions to social problems.
To support USAID/Kenya East Africa (KEA) to align programming toward promoting self-reliance outcomes, SoCha LLC has recently been awarded and will implement a two-year (optional three-year) mission support program to enable USAID to pivot into this journey to self-reliance (J2SR). To support this journey, the J2SR program will support USAID/KEA to understand context, align programs, collect data, understand complexity, and apply learning to program adaptation.
Position Background: The MSP program, implemented by SoCha LLC, seeks a consultant to serve as an Independent Member of the TradeMark East Africa (TMEA) Evaluation Committee, on behalf of USAID/KEA. To ensure independence, the consultant will be contracted by SoCha, on behalf of USAID, and will report directly to the SoCha MSP Chief of Party.
TradeMark East Africa Background: TradeMark East Africa (TMEA) is a multi-donor funded organisation established in 2010, which is incorporated in Kenya and operational in Rwanda, Uganda, Tanzania, Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan and Burundi. TMEA aims to increase sustainable and shared prosperity in East Africa by increasing East Africa’s trade within the region and with the rest of the world.
Specifically, TMEA aim to
(i) invest in improving the efficiency and capacity of transport, logistics and trade infrastructure at key port and border points
(ii) invest in systems to improve trading standards, reduce non-tariff barriers and enhance transparency in trade processes
(iii) improve the regulatory and policy environment for trade and (iv) support private sector advocacy for trade competitiveness, the export capacity of East African businesses and the greater participation of women and small and growing businesses in trade.
TMEA’s Evaluation Committee steers and advises on the monitoring, evaluation and learning of TMEA programmes during quarterly meetings and at key strategic points.
Roles and Responsibilities
The role of the consultant, as an independent member of the Evaluation Committee, is to
(1) review the scientific and technical quality of evaluations commissioned by TMEA and others
(2) to ensure the design and implementation of the evaluations are robust and will stand up to external scrutiny
(3) provide strategic oversight of the implementation of TMEA’s Monitoring, Evidence and Learning Strategy.
In order to fulfil these objectives, the consultant will be required to sign a code of conduct and openly declare any direct, indirect, or potential conflicts of interest.
The consultant will also need to comply with TMEA’s procurement rules on confidentiality when involved in any tender processes.
Methodology and Deliverables
The consultant will review documents and provide comments in writing, and take part in discussions during the quarterly Evaluation Committee meetings through video conferencing or in Nairobi as agreed by the Evaluation Committee.
The consultant may need to provide written comments or join video conferencing discussions outside the quarterly meeting schedule depending on the timelines for the evaluation, monitoring, and learning activities commissioned.
No additional travel outside the quarterly Evaluation Committee meetings will be required.
The independent technical advice provided through written feedback and in person discussions should consider the OECD-DAC standards for evaluations, and TMEA’s Monitoring, Evidence, and Learning Strategy.
In line with the objectives above, the consultant is expected to:
- Review the scientific and technical quality of evaluations commissioned by TMEA
- Ensure the design and implementation of the evaluations are robust and will stand up to external scrutiny
- Provide strategic oversight of the implementation of TMEA’s Monitoring, Evidence, and Learning Strategy
Competences, Experience, and Qualities
- Excellent understanding of evaluation approaches and methods
- Extensive experience and expertise of trade in East Africa
- Represent or be affiliated with an African organization focused on trade and development
- Experience of using evidence and evaluation to inform programming or initiatives to strengthen trade and maximize its benefits for the poor
- Expertise in using evidence to understand and seek to enhance the benefits of trade for women and poorer groups
- Ability to represent an independent viewpoint and be willing to constructively engage with evaluators, other TMEA Evaluation Committee members, TMEA staff, and donors
- Be impartial and have no conflict of interest
- Have a credible academic reputation
- Expertise in using evidence to understand and seek to enhance climate mitigation and adaption approaches
- Excellent understanding of data collection methods and modelling techniques
- Excellent understanding of developing and refining complex theories of change.
Place of performance
- Nairobi, Kenya or remote with the ability to teleconference, but preference will be given to candidates based in Kenya.
Period of performance
- 4-8 days per quarter, for a period of two years, commencing 2020. Dates of engagement are based on Evaluation Committee dates.
Per quarter the consultant can expect to work a minimum of four days, up to a maximum of eight days.
The schedule for the meetings is listed below.
- 2020 – Feb 26th; May 26th; Aug 25th; Nov 24th
- 2021 – dates tbc – Feb, May, Aug and Nov
How to Apply
Interested candidates must submit their CV by end of day, February 24, 2020.
To apply, kindly click on this link: https://socha.today/tmea-consultant-socha-llc/