Would you like to get more call backs when applying for jobs? send your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
The BOMA Project
We are seeking to recruit an innovative Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting and Learning (MERL) Manager with a deep understanding of monitoring and evaluation to join our team.
Reports to: Kenya Program Director
Job titles of persons supervised: Data Analysts, M&E Officers
Job Summary / Purpose: The position is responsible for development and implementation of an effective monitoring and evaluation system: design and implementation of research, surveys and studies, seeking innovations and best practice methodologies to strengthen the quality, design, and metrics of BOMA MERL activities; and promoting a culture of data demand and use within BOMA and with stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
Strategy and Business Management
- Provide leadership and day-to-day-management of BOMA’s monitoring and evaluation activities, digital data collection and analysis for baselines and end-lines.
- Provide support for the development of a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation plan across the organization and ensure its delivery.
- Establish and guide a data quality management strategy.
- Lead the development and implementation of strategic, business, management, operational, and work plans as well as budgets for MERL.
- Support fundraising and resource mobilization initiatives through provision of appropriate data and information for concept papers and proposals.
- Manage financial and material resources allocated to Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting and Learning
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Design and Manage the implementation of BOMA’s MERL system in line with internal and external requirements
- Design and coordinate/implement quantitative and qualitative research and surveys, impact assessments and longevity surveys/studies to build evidence of the impact of BOMA’s graduation model.
- Coordinate and supervise MERL activities and ensure MERL framework (indicators, tools and methodologies) and practices are aligned to industry standards and/or compliant to donor requirements
- Facilitate capacity development of staff in MEL.
- Manage continuous monitoring and periodic evaluations of BOMA’s programs/projects as designed in work-plans and provide consolidated reports to Program Managers and leadership team that summarize implementation progress, trends, variances and learning
- Lead in writing of M&E reports and coordinate documentation and dissemination of findings.
- Facilitate period review of performance metrics with program teams to ensure programs/projects are within design and implementation principles of MERL.
- Provide MERL technical support to BOMA’s partners as they adapt, design and implement MERL systems for BOMA-supported graduation activities in new projects, contexts, and populations
Data Quality Assurance
- Ensure data quality standards are established and maintained for program and projects.
- Undertake regular review of data management systems and processes and advice on ways of continuous improvement.
- Ensure feedback loops to regional managers or technical advisors and corrective actions implemented.
- Review and analyse monthly monitoring data and work with regional and project teams to identify and resolve variances.
- Lead and strengthen quality control of BOMA data to assure the integrity of data for analysis, tracking, and validation
- Assist in preparation and use of the budgets and support budget monitoring and control for the unit.
- Oversee prudent management of resources allocated to the unit and ensure value for money in all financial commitments.
- Uphold BOMA’s financial management policy and adhere to set benchmarks and guidelines
Documentation and Record Keeping
- Ensure proper documentation for all programs/projects and put in place a proper filling system that is easily retrievable in line with BOMA’s program implementation policy and guidelines.
- Maintain adequate documentation and records for programs/projects initiatives that ensure processes, activities and statistics are well captured and records kept in line with established policy and protocols.
- Facilitate training of staff on documentation and record keeping; and enforce adherence to standards and protocols.
Sharing and Learning
- Coordinate documentation and dissemination of research and study findings; case studies, experiences, best practice and lessons.
- Synthesize and develop frameworks for adoption of lessons and experiences for continuous improvement of program approaches and methodologies at BOMA to promote its work.
- Encourage and promote sharing of learning and experience with the team, across the organization and with like-minded/peer organizations.
- Provide inputs for program learning and improvements, contribute to the global evidence base for graduation, inform future project design, and underpin quality donor reporting.
- Organize and support quarterly reflection and training meetings to ensure continuous learning, adaptation and quality improvement of BOMA’s program
- Develop and maintain strong and collaborative relationships with colleagues, partners and relevant stakeholders.
- Represent and participate in relevant forums whenever nominated.
- Maintain a network of peers and professional contacts for exchange of ideas and information.
- Maintain good public relations and promote visibility of the work of BOMA.
Management of Staff
- Provide direct supervision to MEL unit staff, including technical oversight of regional MERL officers, participating in their performance management reviews and professional development planning
- Support in the recruitment and selection, and provide effective coaching of staff, while inculcating culture and values of the organization for the unit.
- Promote effective communication among staff of the unit with head office and other departments/units/regions.
- Proactively employ practices that lead to staff motivation and retention; and provide for succession plans.
- Proactively mentor and support upcoming team members as a way of building a pipeline of talent in the organization.
- Conduct annual appraisal for professional staff in the unit.
Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor from time to time.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Level of Education / Academic Qualification
- Bachelor’s degree, MBA or advanced degree in monitoring and evaluation preferred
Specialized Training / Professional Qualifications
- Post Graduate Diploma in Project Management/Monitoring and Evaluation is an added advantage.
- Practical experience in use of data analysis tools like STATA or SPSS.
- Formal M&E training and/or specialized skills in statistics are an advantage.
- Experience in research and surveys – design of tools, data collection, data processing and analysis.
- Experience using Collaborating, Adapting and Learning practices preferred.
Competencies / Abilities / Skills Required
- Self-directed, dynamic, innovative, and highly motivated individual with strong leadership and management skills, and demonstrated ability to build, nurture and direct team.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and develop and maintain constructive relationships and profitable networks.
- Strong communication skills (both written and spoken English and Kiswahili language), and strong presentation and report writing skills.
- Excellent analytical and detail-oriented individual with extensive experience in research, surveys and data management.
- Experience in the arid lands, preferably in East Africa, and passionate about women’s economic empowerment.
- Strong computer skills and very good knowledge in use of applications such as Excel, Word, Access and PowerPoint required, while working knowledge of Salesforce and Taroworks would be an advantage. Also demonstrated ability to leverage technology in social entrepreneurship.
- Good planning and organizational capacity with demonstrable ability to work with minimal supervision and demonstrated ability to multitask
Relevant Work Experience
- At least 5 years’ experience in management and leadership of complex M&E frameworks and systems.
Authority / Independent Action
The job is performed in accordance with established policies, practices, standard procedures and guidelines with occasional need for independent decision. It makes recommendation to the management on issues relating to management of MEL at BOMA to enable effective service delivery and impact of the program. Consultations with senior management team and program team are made consistently to promote cooperation and collegiality in decision making.
Resource Management Responsibility
- The job provides responsibility for human, financial, material resources and assets for MERL.
- The position is based in BOMA’s country program headquarters in Nanyuki with frequent travels to the program areas. The job will occasionally require the jobholder to work for long and odd hours.
- The work performed presents exposure to difficult situations / environments, harsh terrain, and periodically exposed to adverse weather conditions during field visits. Occasionally works under pressure from time to time to meet deadlines.
Qualified and interested candidates who meet the person specifications and the requirements as outlined above should send a cover letter and CV to Recruit@bomaproject.org with the subject line clearly marked MERL Manager (do not send any other attachments apart from your application letter and CV).
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis – as and when received until a suitable candidate is identified.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline for application is Friday, 28th February 2020.
Qualified candidates should be prepared to provide three industry-related references upon request.
BOMA is an equal opportunity employer; qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply