Would you like to get more call backs when applying for jobs? send your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Position: Law clerk (Job Grade LC)
Job Reference Number: V/No. 2/2020
Number of Posts: Fourteen (14)
Terms of Service: Three (3) years contract – Renewable subject to satisfactory performance
Gross Salary Scale: Kshs. 180, 000. – 324,000 p.m.
Reporting Responsibilities: Reports to Judge
Area of Deployment: Supreme Court of Kenya
The Judicial Service Commission is established under Article 171 of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010, with a mandate of promoting and facilitating the independence and accountability of the Judiciary and the efficient, effective and transparent administration of justice.
Under the general direction of the Judge, the position holder will research on precedent setting authorities within varied jurisdictions both within and outside of the Commonwealth and present findings with sound written arguments in light of academic legal literature and case law. The holder will also draft well planned legal briefs on a variety of legal issues touching on different branches of law.
• Examining pleadings and fully apprehending their tenor and effect;
• Examining the detailed content of the facts and decisions of the Courts below;
• Taking stock of the full tenor and effect of the submissions made in the Supreme Court and the lower Courts;
• Bringing together all relevant authorities – those emanating from counsel and, any other relevant materials;
• Conducting extensive legal research and writing for the respective Judges of the Supreme Court
• Drafting bench memoranda and well-researched opinions on various legal issues; and
• Preparing pre-trial and post-trial media summaries
• Bachelor of Law (LLB) degree from a recognized university;
• Be an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya with current practicing certificate;
• Post Graduate Diploma in Law;
• Member of the Law Society of Kenya;
• Proficiency in computer applications; and
• Must possess the qualifications set out in chapter six of the Constitution of Kenya
Experience: Six (6) years post admission practicing experience or six (6) years of extensive legal research in a relevant legal field
• Oral & Written Communication Skills
• Excellent Conceptual & Analytical Skills
• Interpersonal Skills
• Report Writing Skills
• Research Skills
• High attention to detail
• Sound independent judgement
How To Apply
Interested and qualified persons are requested to make their applications by filling an Online Application for Employment Form available at the JSC jobs portal: http://www.jsc.go.ke/careers. Applicants should upload soft copies of the following documents to the online application: –
• A letter of application;
• A detailed and updated curriculum vitae, to include background information such as past employment record (if any), community service, financial discipline, pro bono activity (if any), past and present and legal/professional engagement;
• Names of three (3) professional references and two (2) character references who can verify and comment about the applicant’s past and present employment or engagement;
• Certified copies of admission certificate to the roll of advocates, testimonials, professional certificates and academic transcripts;
• Applicant’s recent coloured passport size photographs (2 No.); and
• Five (5) samples of any professional writings, including but not limited to judgments, advocacy submissions in courts, scholarly writings or any legal publications that the applicant has authored.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to submit valid copies of clearance certificates from the following bodies during the interview: –
• Kenya Revenue Authority,
• Higher Education Loans Board,
• Directorate of Criminal Investigation,
• Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission,
• a recognized Credit Reference Bureau, and
• Clearance from relevant professional body.
Applicants MUST take note that it is a criminal offence to provide false information and documents in the job application and the same will be verified by relevant bodies.
The application must reach the Commission NOT LATER THAN 13TH MARCH, 2020 AT 5.00PM
Only shortlisted and successful candidates will be contacted. Canvassing in any form will lead to automatic disqualification. Only applicants who meet the minimum requirements should apply.
Serving Law Clerks and Legal Researchers who wish to convert to the new structure are encouraged to apply.
The Judicial Service Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer and selects candidates on merit through fair and open competition from the widest range of eligible candidates.
THE SECRETARY JUDICIAL SERVICE COMMISSION
P.O. BOX 40048 – 00100 NAIROBI Telephone: +254 20-2739180
Commission Secretariat: Reinsurance Plaza, Taifa Road, Nairobi CBD, Podium Floor