Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Position: Shift Leader –Cable Landing Station
Reporting to: Team Leader – Cable Landing Station
Department: Technology Division
Who We Are
Telkom connects the people that keep Kenya on the move. It does this by providing integrated telecommunications solutions to individuals, Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs), Government and large corporates in Kenya, drawing from a diverse solutions suite that includes voice, data, mobile money as well as network services. Powered by its vast fibre optic infrastructure, it is also a major provider of wholesale, carrier-to-carrier traffic within the country and the region.
As a NOC Engineer you will be expected to successfully undertake all activities relating to routine maintenance, corrective maintenance, root cause analysis and network quality initiatives for the submarine cable network components
- Prompting traffic restoration and institute action plans during emergencies like submarine cable cuts and/or failure of undersea submerged repeaters and equalizers.
- Confirming daily, weekly and monthly routine maintenance procedures are done for submarine line terminating equipments;1620 SLTE, SDH equipment 1678 MCC, 1675 Lambda Unite, Ciena Core Director and SubCom LTE.
- Scheduling performance of daily, weekly and monthly routine maintenance procedures on Power Feeding Equipment, rectifiers and batteries, and Land cable routine check and done satisfactorily.
- Schedule performance of corrective maintenance procedures in case of the malfunction or breakdown of the DWDM Submarine landing station equipment.
- Performing functions of PSO ( Power Safety Officer ) for the respective cable systems as a Mombasa MA (Maintenance Authority ), and as a first point of contact in any maintenance of the system in Mombasa.
- Liaise with cable ship / other terminal station PSO’s, and perform correct powering of PFE.
- Receive and send PSM messages as required and ensure correct following of the MOP instructions during maintenance of the submarine cable system and direct corrective maintenance procedures on the auxiliary subsystems.
- Ensuring the Submarine cable is completely isolated from DC power before any work is to be performed on the cable system
- Keep in custody all high power safety keys, and be the only authority in their use
- Direct checks of all test gears e.g. power meters, OTDR, OSA etc. and ensure all are well calibrated and available for use during emergencies.
- Giving assistance to contractors technically and logistically during new installations or as otherwise directed by the Team Leader.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering /Electrical and Electronics/ Telecommunications (Transmission).
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience as a NOC engineer
- 2 years’ experience in submarine fibre optic transmission equipment
- Highly skilled engineer able to competently resolve issues on fiber optic equipment & DWDM technologies
- Must be able to work in a 24 hour shift schedule
- Must be able to drive (hold a valid driver’s licenses)
- Team player
- Initiative and hands on
- Ability to work without supervision
- Results oriented
- Ability to work long hours to meet deadlines
- Good interpersonal skills
How to Apply
Application should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org for internal applicants and to email@example.com for external applicants
by providing an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) before 5th June 2020 including details of your current telephone contacts and names of
three referees. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Telkom Kenya is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to tribe, religion, gender, age or disability.