Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
The Accountant is an integral member of AWF’s Finance team, reporting to Senior Manager Accounting and Compliance. He/She will be responsible for accurate General Ledger maintenance reconciliations and smooth monthly closure of books of accounts. She/he will also be involved in processing invoices, portal expense entries relating to Kenya and other AWF offices without dedicated Finance staff. In addition, the incumbent will also work with other finance teams to ensure timely processing of invoices and payments for all the operations in AWF. The position will actively support the annual organizational audit, country statutory audits and will support all donor-related audits and internal controls.
Occasional international and domestic travel is required.
- Support finance teams to ensure timely month end closure in compliance with GAAP and AWF procedures.
- Participate in the monthly close process; prepare reconciliation schedules per the monthly close checklist.
- Maintain all balance sheet accounting, producing consistent and accurate supporting schedules and reconciliations.
- Upload monthly visa reports to the portal and ensure timely submission of the reconciliation forms as per AWF policy by all staff.
- Produce audit-ready monthly general ledger schedules and subsidiary financial statements.
- Prepare various general ledger account reconciliations, prepayments, accruals, fixed asset schedules, payroll and bank reconciliations.
- Review and validate general ledger transactions, timely identification and corrections of errors of transactions posted in the general ledger both in AWF company and its subsidiaries.
- Produce audit-ready monthly general ledger schedules and subsidiary financial statements
- Post all salaries in correct month using correct employee codes, fund codes and restriction codes
- Run, post exchange rates adjustments and ensure all expense G/Ls have correct dimensions
- Support country audits, organizational audit, AWF internal audits and grant audits
- Update monthly exchange rates in the accounting system.
- Review and follow up travel advances in a timely manner
- Post supplier invoices accurately and on a timely basis.
- Review supplier invoices and ensure that are properly supported before posting in the system
- Reconcile vendor accounts with the statements monthly
- Timely processing of payments to vendors, consultants, staff and partners.
- Check integrity and accuracy of financial data, vendor, payroll, etc, and timely identification and correction of errors of transactions.
- Verify accuracy of vendor details in AWF systems
- Prepare Kenya and Expat payroll and ensure they areposted on time.
- Post and pay liabilities on time
- Support compliance with all country tax obligations where AWF has operates
- File approved payroll reports
- Extract salary remittance and file as per established system.
- Share reports with key stakeholders in a timely and consistent manner.
- Work with the finance teams to implement internal controls throughout the organization to assure protection of the AWF finance and non-finance assets.
- Contribute to the development and enhancement of accounting policies and procedures and enforcement of the same.
- Support in consistent application of internal controls throughout the organization.
- Train staff on internal control procedures and accounting tools, such as accounting and timesheet portals
- Participate in planning and problem-solving meetings
- Identify ways of improving internal controls and efficient ways of processing accounting related activities.
- In conjunction, other finance staff , maintain/update financial systems.
- Keep abreast of changes in regulations, which may affect the accounting functions of the organization.
- Follow up and ensure timely accounting and compliance of AWF corporate credit card program.
Cash flow Planning and Management
- Reconcile AWF bank balances with donor cash receipts.
- Support in the development of monthly/quarterly cash projection for AWF operations
- Process payments in a timely manner and track overdue payments.
- Work with the team to ensure optimum cash balances always
- Any other relevant duties as assigned by the Supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, accounting or related field.
- Qualified Accountant and Member of Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya
- Familiarity with institutional and other donor guidelines a strong advantage
- At least 5 years relevant working experience, at least 3 years within a donor funded nonprofit organization.
- Audit experience will be an added advantage.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of key donor requirements required.
- Ability to manage sensitive and confidential matters with the highest level of professionalism.
- Ability to manage competing priorities, exercise good judgment, identify, and resolve problems.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate financial information to a non-financial audience.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines
- A self-starter with keen eye to detail.