Background/IRC Summary: The Information Technology department supports the organization’s work by providing reliable and scalable application development and infrastructure for the IRC’s offices in the US and around the world, including many technologically challenging locations.
Job Overview/Summary: The Senior Helpdesk Technician – Team Lead will provide support to our end-users globally, and handle escalations from tier 1 and tier 2 support, with the location in Nairobi, Kenya. Daily tasks may include though are not limited to:
• Incident response, monitoring, investigation, project implementation, as well as operational support.
• Document ServiceDesk activities, identify problem areas, document resolutions, and devise and deliver solutions.
• Provide resolution of potential and actual service problems; escalation to tier 3 support and troubleshooting.
• Create problem tickets and follow through until resolved.
• Monitor ServiceDesk matrix, and work with Service Desk Manager toward continues improvements.
• Schedule and plan resources in coordination with Service Desk Manager.
• Mentor and supervise less experienced team members and engage in staff training and development.
• Assist in the development, monitoring, and enforcement of knowledgebase that outline how problems are identified, documented, assigned and corrected.
Customer Service and Communication
• Demonstrate an ability to communicate technical terms, IRC IT policies to end users in a service-oriented fashion.
• Provide exemplary customer service across all levels of the organization, ensuring service is timely and accurate on daily bases.
• Provides technical advice and guidance to technicians relative to problems involving technical user issues.
• Troubleshoots and restores routine technical service and equipment troubles by analyzing, identifying and diagnosing faults and symptoms using established processes and procedures.
• End User Device administration/configuration/support/troubleshooting.
• Use of tools and utilities: Responsible for the implementation, installation, maintenance and support of End User Infrastructure.
• Support equipment, software and connectivity for PDAs, PCs Macintosh and Windows workstations, printers, LAN, AV, Video conferencing, telephone.
• Responsible to implement known solutions to software and hardware problems and perform basic troubleshooting in their area of expertise.
• Design technical solutions for modules of a project, or to resolve most problems and select appropriate work procedures or approaches to address technical challenges.
• Conduct complete diagnostics of most business problems; anticipates implementation obstacles.
• Assist in of new technologies and other related tasks as needed.
Administrative Tasks & Record Keeping
• Investigates and coordinates the resolution of potential and actual service problems and ensures that incidents and requests are handled within SLA and in professional, efficient and knowledgeable manner within SLA.
• Monitor and analyze service request/incident trends, anticipate potential problems for proactive resolution in ServiceNow and provided reports as requested.
• Recruit, train and support help desk representatives and technicians
• Manage the HelpDesk team in Nairobi and participate in performance evaluations.
• Log real time written journal entries documenting actions taken on all ticket requests, conforming established service levels agreements.
• Manage IT inventory, licenses, services, and support incidents.
• Create and validate knowledgebase articles and user documentation.
• Mentor and supervise less-experienced staff with responsibility for their technical development, including internship programs.
• Provide statistical and performance feedback and coaching on a regular basis to team members.
• Participate in Performance Management Reviews and report any problematic issues.
• Work with manager and team mates to put the new process in place and follow through to ensure adoption.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Senior Manager Service Desk
Position directly supervises: Team Members in Nairobi
Director Network Operations, Senior Director, Technology Shared Services
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
The technician will work independently and, in collaboration with the team. He/she will interact with vendors as needed.
Internal: Team Leads, Technicians, System Engineer, Desktop Engineer, Network Engineers, Knowledgebase Manager, Project Managers
External: Vendors: Phone vendor, Printer Vendor, MAC support, Microsoft Support, and other as needed.
Education: College degree or equivalent certification
Certificates or Licenses: A+ Certification, Network+ (CompTIA), ITIL
• 2-3 years of experience in help desk/desktop support position
• Excellent consultative and communication skills, analytical ability, decisiveness, strong judgment, and the ability to work effectively with clients, IT management, staff and vendors.
• Strong organizational skills, able to prioritize and multitask.
• Strong interpersonal skills and customer service skills.
• Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
• Must be dependable and have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to interact with various levels of employees, and expertise throughout the organization, VIP support included.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.