Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
About the role
The Senior Manager, Talent, will be responsible for providing core HR services to FSD Africa’s staff (including consultants) to help maximize the impact of a highly talented and knowledgeable workforce. Whilst FSD Africa is headquartered in Kenya, a majority of the staff work remotely, with some positioned in unstable or fragile states. The role holder will also partner with line managers to recruit and develop their teams, manage the development and implementation of talent management systems, and oversee the provision of value-adding HR services and administrative support.
Strategy & Planning:
- Support Director HR & Talent Management to develop a comprehensive talent management strategy that will enhance motivation, performance and retention of staff whilst ensuring FSD Africa is provided with the critical talent required for success.
- Keep abreast of emerging knowledge in the field of individual and organisational performance enhancement such as; talent management, HR Management, learning & development, and occupational psychology.
- Participate in, and help manage, HR needs analysis as part of FSD Africa’s strategic and annual planning cycles.
- Liaise with Senior Managers to understand their HR needs (recruiting, outsourcing, capacity building, performance management etc).
- Apply organization development principles to develop strategies or recommendations that would support senior management in decision-making.
- Administer diagnostics, analyse data, and track key HR metrics in order to assess the quality of people management practice as well as identify opportunities for improvement and provide practical recommendations to management.
- Participate in the development of the overall talent management strategy for FSD Africa and also lead the development of detailed implementation plans for delegated sections of the strategy.
Systems Development & Administration:
- Deliver key Talent Management functions in line with policy and best practice, by coordinating a schedule of activities and routines that ensure timely and effective service.
- Implement mechanisms designed to support succession planning and career development.
- Support managers to carry out the annual career review and compile results to provide an overall picture of staff ambitions.
- Lead career planning discussions (both internal to FSD Africa and FSD network) to manage staff career growth.
- Maintain a central database of roles and requirements that can be used by individuals and managers in career planning including documenting and sharing career pathways and internal vacancies.
- Manage recruitment according to best practice, so as to attract and hire top talent within a competitive market.
- Develop and support implementation of an effective performance review and feedback process (with qualitative & quantitative measures) to ensure that both the process, and the way in which it is implemented by management, results in increased staff motivation and continuous improvement
- Lead the development and implementation of an employee wellbeing strategy including appropriate administration of employee benefits.
- Liaise with the insurance provider to manage staff insurance benefits, ensuring that; policies are renewed on time, staff are guided on how to meet the requirements of the scheme, and all necessary administration is carried out.
Talent Management Advisory:
- Provide support and advice to both staff and management on HR matters, ensuring that FSD Africa is positively represented and seeks to effectively resolve any conflicts & grievances according to best practice.
- Collaboratively work with the Director HR & Talent Management to develop an empowering organization climate that will lead to staff engagement and motivation.
- Ensure effective internal communications to both staff and management, so that they are fully equipped to engage with key Talent Management activities.
- Ensure the provision of briefings, guidance, training, and other capacity-building interventions to support management in utilising the performance management framework effectively.
- Provide user support for HR systems and processes.
- Proactively manage situations where members of staff are in distress; including occasions when disciplinary measures must be taken.
- Ensure staff are behaving in a professional manner in compliance with FSD Africa policy and relevant employment law.
Risk & Compliance Management:
- Ensure that potential risks associated with the FSD Africa’s employment of staff are identified & mitigated including; safeguarding strategies, data protection and compliance with relevant HR legislation.
- Ensure full understanding of HR-related risks and risk management protocols that need to be in place while supporting the Director HR & Talent Management in development and updating of policies and procedures
- Manage employee HR records by ensuring all required information is on the relevant files and is retained for the statutory time period to be disposed of thereafter, in compliance with data management policies.
- Review, disseminate and ensure full compliance of HR policy guidelines to; local labour laws, DFID rules and regulations, FSD Africa policies, values, procedures and strategies as well as effective implementation of the internal control framework and proper functioning of the HR policy framework.
- Help develop and provide training on legal and compliance issues to staff at all levels including; safeguarding, equality & inclusion, and other trainings mandated by policy.
- Prepare for and support audits to ensure any corrective actions relating to HR management are closed out in a timely manner.
- Work collaboratively with the Director HR & Talent to implement an Occupational Health and Safety plan that ensures staff safety and security protocols are in place and utilized.
- Lead staff and consultants in a manner that empowers them to add value to FSD Africa and deliver high standards of performance.
- Ensure the team is resourced with the expertise necessary to deliver on strategy implementation through a combination of recruitment and management of staff as well as procurement of consultants.
- Ensure that each team member is provided with clarity around goals and expectations of their roles in achieving results, standards and behaviour.
- Plan and organise the HR team’s work to accomplish strategic project goals and targets in the most cost-effective and impactful manner possible including supervising consultants engaged in talent management interventions.
- Monitor and review performance as well as hold all staff members accountable for; achieving results, meeting standards of excellence and taking decisive action in the case of poor performance.
- Ensure delivery of an engaging leadership style that motivates team members resulting in high performance .
Does this sound like you?
Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University.
- Accreditation from a recognised certificating body (e.g. CIPD or equivalent).
- Professional association membership in-country of residence is desirable .
- Excellent skills in written and spoken English.
Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- At least 8 years’ experience as an HR generalist with a minimum of 2 years at a management or supervisory level.
- Excellent knowledge of talent management best practice with a track record of leading practical implementation.
- High attention to detail and follow-through with strong written communication and presentation skills.
- Effective relationship-builder at all levels of an organization with the ability to guide and influence management and staff.
- Track record of acting with high levels of professionalism, discretion, and discernment; committed to upholding principles of equity, inclusion, and confidentiality.
- Strong interpersonal/relationship building skills.
- Knowledge of the local employment labour laws as well as experience within international HR context.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines under pressure.
- High degree of professionalism and discretion; culturally astute.
- Ability to work independently as well as perform in a matrix organization.
- Experience working in multiple countries across Africa.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Experience working in a multicultural environment.
- Previous experience working in DFID-funded projects.
- Languages: French, local African languages.
Apply by 31 August 2020
Persons of all gender, race, sex, orientation, age, and identity are encouraged to apply.