Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Save the Children is recruiting a Nutrition Officer to implement nutrition intervention in the Nitunze programme. The role holder will play a critical role in promoting integrated service delivery across the continuum of care through the health system, particularly the integration of nutrition into the health system. The role holder will coordinate with the county health department to strengthen health system support for improved quality of care at health facilities and in the community. In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Contract Duration: 12 months with possibility of extension.
No of Vacancies: One (1) Position
Reporting to: Project Coordinator
Nationality: Kenya Nationals only
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Organizing trainings for Ministry of Health staff and community health volunteers on nutrition system strengthening including Integrated Management of Acute Malnutrition, IMAM Surge, and Nutrition Supplies Management.
- Coordinate nutrition messaging to mother-to-mother support groups and VSLA groups during set up of livelihood initiatives such as kitchen gardens.
- Promote infant and young child feeding practices through community campaigns and other channels.
- Ensure availability and distribution of IEC materials, nutrition protocols and supplies, reporting tools etc. at health facility and Community Level.
- Support Ministry of Health to scale up Micronutrient supplementation program (VAS, IFAS, Deworming and Zinc supplementation in treatment of diarrhoea) in hard to reach areas at a distance of more than 15 kilometers from health facilities through ECD centers and community health volunteers.
- Develop and implement Health System Strengthening training needs, assist in defining training needs, develop strategies to achieve targets and coordinate training activities.
- Coordinate and maintain strong partnerships with other actors in health and nutrition at county, sub-county and community levels.
- In Coordination with health, colleagues organize mobile integrated mobile clinics.
- Promote integration of nutrition in FSL and Education.
- Provide technical support to county government in nutrition surveillance. Support the MoH to conduct annual SMART, SQUEC and any other surveys follow up implementation of recommendations.
- Support MoH to develop and periodically update nutrition contingency and response plans, integrate into NDMA contingency plan and activation when triggered
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL)
- Work with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) team and other project staff in monitoring and evaluation of project activities including preparation of monitoring reports, documents and lessons learned.
- Share case studies, human-interest stories, documentaries and other related materials with MEAL Unit.
- Carry out regular health facility monitoring visits and attend facility review meetings to provide support.
- Participate in milestone meetings for monitoring the progress of the programme such as mid-term reviews, strategy meetings, previews and reviews and annual reviews.
- Ensure exchange and sharing of experience, lessons learnt, best practices and new methods to county officials, programme staff, other SCI partners as well as within the organization in collaboration with the health and nutrition teams.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in health sciences / health systems (Nutrition, Nursing, Public health).
- Minimum 3 years of relevant professional work experience in Nutrition Programming.
- Intense understanding of the MOH and county health departments, particularly integration of donor funded programmes into county plans.
- Effective working relationships with stakeholders from government agencies, international organizations, donors, academics and opinion-leaders.
- Experience in training and capacity building
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Good knowledge of the nutrition and health field.
- Good presentation and persuasion skills.
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mind-sets.
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills, collaboration experience, creativity and willingness to innovate.
- Fluent oral and strong analytical, written English communication skills is required
- Fluent oral Kiswahili is required
- Proficiency in the languages of Turkana County highly desirable.
- Commitment to SCI Values.
- Good computer skills (particularly Word, Excel and database)
- Demonstrates Save the Children’s core values of accountability, collaboration, integrity, ambition, and creativity.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
How to Apply.
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at https://kenya.savethechildren.net/careers
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy. All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best-qualified talent.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents