Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Program Coordinator, Hub for Agricultural Policy Action (HAPA), Nairobi Kenya – Job Reference: PC/HAPA/08/2020
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
Under its 5-year strategy, AGRA looks to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
The Hub for Agriculture Policy Action (HAPA) which sits within the Policy & State Capability Division of AGRA, is a distinct service offering by AGRA to provide consolidation and translation advisory services to governments seeking to reform, refine and/ or develop a more clearly defined policy direction. The approach recognizes the urgent need for timely policy support to the Agriculture sector, which plays an important role in ensuring inclusive growth. It also recognizes the demands for political expediency and the need to ensure that a particular policy direction is anchored in evidence. The approach proposed also addresses the challenge posed by the high turnover of senior government decision makers by engaging local capacity and building on existing knowledge and partnerships. It will also draw on international and continental best practice and enhance the use of evidence given the salient political realities in policy making.
To support this objective, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Program Coordinator, HAPA.
Reporting to the Head of the Hub for Agricultural Policy Action, the Program Coordinator will assist Program Officers within the Program in the refinement of project proposals and grant memos in order to ensure that these documents are well-prepared in advance of submission to the Grants Unit and the Grants Committee. The Program Coordinator will also assist the Country Managers and Program Officers with regard to internal and external communications to ensure the running of a cohesive, coherent program. He/She will also provide regular updates on the team’s status through reports or meetings.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travel both local and international.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Initiates guidelines for proposal submission, responds to inquiries, screen, directs, and follows through on all program enquiries as appropriate.
- Initiates the development of grants and assists in their formulation from the point of initial, draft submission to final approval by the Grants Committee.
- Analyzes and assists in the correction, as needed, of project proposals for clarity of charitable purpose and all matters related to implementation, budgeting, and grammar.
- Assists the Grants Unit in making all necessary changes in grant memos and proposals following review by the Grants Committee.
- Analyzes IPTTs and uses the data to prepare quarterly Dashboards and the Data explorer.
- Oversees the Team Central Audit system and follows up with grantees on pending issues.
- Evaluates grantee no-cost extensions and modifications and forwards to Program Officer and Grants Unit for approval.
- Guides and follows-up with grantees to send reports due in a timely-manner and ensures reports are approved by the Grants Unit as necessary.
- Aligns grantee achievements against targets and collaborates with the relevant Program Officer and grantee to identify any inconsistencies.
- Delivers together with the Head of unit, the preparation and tracking of annual program budgets.
- Delivers together with the Head of Unit the preparation of donor reports, board reports, AGRA annual and quarterly reports.
- Monitors projects implementation progress and follows up with the grantees, including training them on the use of various AGRA templates.
- Organizes grantee monitoring visits as is required.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in business or social sciences.
- A Master’s degree will be an advantage.
- Computer proficiency and familiarity with a range of software applications including word processing, spreadsheets and databases.
- Fluency in English required; ability to communicate in French will be considered an added advantage.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in agriculture related international development work.
- At least 5 years’ experience in project management in Africa is essential.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in grant making.
- Good working knowledge of not-for-profit organization.
- Experience managing complex initiatives with proven ability to develop high impact partnerships.
- Experience in working with similar organizations or institutions will be an added advantage
- Analytical, excellent data mining ability.
- Strong ability to influence positively both upwards and downwards across cultures and countries.
- Proven leadership ability to influence, develop, and empower employees to achieve their best with a team approach.
- Deep understanding of both the government and private sector policies and governance structures.
- Results and detail orientated with a very hands-on approach.
- Excellent leadership, organizational, and problem solving/decision making skills.
- Intelligent, motivated self-starter with strong interpersonal skills and work ethic.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with this position’s responsibility will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to email@example.com noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of your email)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 7th September, 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer