Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Penda Health is an award-winning company, founded in 2012, that delivers high quality, trustworthy healthcare. Our vision is for everyone in Africa to have healthcare they can trust. Today we are 400 people, running 17 paperless, highly tech-enabled Medical Centres in Nairobi, Kenya. We treat 250,000 patients per year. As we expand Medical Centres, we’re also expanding vertically by adding services, investing heavily in digital health capabilities, and partnering with insurance companies and major employers to get low-cost health insurance to Kenyan families.
Reporting to the CEO, our CFO will partner with our leadership team to make the company’s most important strategic decisions during this critical phase of our growth. The CFO will be responsible for ensuring we make decisions with hard data, clear plans, and all risks considered. This also means taking full ownership of the quality of the data we have available on our finances and ensuring that Penda is fiscally responsible and fully compliant with all partner requirements.
This role works directly with our co-founders and will take over the day to day management of our finance and credit departments (via existing senior managers). It will be critical to forge close relationships with our Board and investors, as well as key internal functions such as supply chain, procurement, and business intelligence.
- Deeply understand key aspects of Penda such as who our customers are, our unique position in the African healthcare market, our 5-year plan, all aspects of company performance and key levers on our business model
- Improve, update, and communicate a 5-year model for Penda’s growth, including flagging the key strategic decisions that need to be made and participating in making them
- Partner with our president during key fundraising periods to ensure that we communicate clearly and transparently on our companies current and future performance
- Prepare and accurately report on the company’s short-term and long-term results and performance to the Leadership team, investors, and the Board to international standards
- Increase knowledge across the company of the MC unit economics, enhancing the current model if required. Further, develop a similar model for individual services we are considering adding.
- Use data (both internal and external) to input into and influence strategic decision making
- Ensure strong cashflow planning and clear budgeting processes are in place and well adhered to including managing debt repayments
- Design and manage an efficient and motivated finance department that is able to rapidly scale, this includes considering things such as team size and skills, IT systems, reporting tools, and timelines, compliance, and controls
- Continually review the company’s core finance activities/operations/numbers and determine the changes needed – develop and drive plans on items such as:
- Financial accounting (including bookkeeping, audit, compliance)
- Management reporting, performance management
- Finance IT systems
- Tax, company capital structure (debt and equity structures), risk management
- Financial planning, budgeting, analysis
- Capital asset expenditures and management
- Intercompany relationship (pricing, loans, etc) between Mauritius parent and KE entity
- Manage the relationship between the company and relevant local revenue authorities (KRA)
- Lead on increasing operational efficiencies and taking advantage of areas for cost reductions
- Manage/Improve corporate finance / governance functions. This includes strengthening our relationship with our auditors and ensuring we meet all obligations to various financing partners
Desired Work Experience:
- Previous experience as the CFO at a business that was PE/VC funded, and that was growing quickly, is required
- Built and managed large reliable finance teams
- Previous experience in the healthcare industry, preferably in a finance or operations role is a plus
- Having raised venture capital, guided a company through an exit, or lead a merger/acquisition is a plus
- Experience in emerging markets is a plus
- Qualified articled or professional accountant, i.e., CPA (K), ACCA, CA, etc.
- An MBA or Master Degree in a relevant field
- Competitive salary and benefits including comprehensive medical cover
- Significant participation in employee options program
Note on COVID: We recognize that the presence of the COVID-19 pandemic in our lives makes this a strange time to be looking for a job. There is a lot of uncertainty about how to interview, how to onboard, how logistics of the role would work, etc. Don’t let that uncertainty prevent you from reaching out. If you want to start with a conversation on this topic before we go any further, we understand and will be more than happy to think things through with you.
Note on length of the role: We see the possibility of someone taking up this role for 2-3 years to support us during our next phase of fast growth. We’d love to find a long term fit, but we’re open to both as the skillset need for the next 2-3 years may be unique.