Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
The CFO Kenya will direct all matters related to the financial management and functioning of AKES Kenya (AKESK), providing leadership in finance, ICT, procurement and general administration. S/he will ensure effective risk management as well as compliance with AKES policy and professional standards across functional areas.
Given the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, the jobholder will be a ‘safe pair of hands’ who understands AKES and the AKDN and be a key part of strengthening the financial processes and systems for Kenya, as well as helping navigate AKESK through the next two to three years. This will require an ability to find efficiencies and support mitigation measures as well as support investments in the agreed areas for development.
The CFO will also provide financial oversight to the overall performance of the organization, driving reviews, upgrades and changes to existing processes, policies, guidelines and systems, to ensure the effective and efficient financial management of AKESK.
S/he will work closely with the AKESK CEO in delivering measurable results in order to meet the organization’s strategic goals and mandate as well as contributing to the development, execution and monitoring of repositioning strategies.
- Assure the financial performance of AKES Kenya and oversee operations including regional and central offices, schools and other programme units.
- Drive the annual operational budget cycle of AKESK.
- Review and strengthen the financial management policies, systems and processes across all units to bring about cohesion and best practice.
- Build capacity of the finance team in AKES Kenya by providing regular training and mentoring to upgrade staff skills and performance.
- Identify and leverage opportunities for resource optimization through shared services and purchasing between field units and other AKDN agencies in East Africa.
- In consultation with the CEO, play a lead role in the development of financial planning for AKES activities in Kenya, including feasibility and cash flow plans.
- Supervise grant management and donor funded projects.
Quality Control and Compliance:
- Ensure that all financial management activities conform to best practices and comply with Institutional policies and government legislation, operating and programmatic licensing requirements.
- Review the internal control systems and risk management systems and suggest improvements to AKES Head Office and the CEO Kenya, and track the implementation of audit recommendations.
- Regularly review financial reports to ensure the effective functioning, control and integrity of policies and procedures.
AKES Statutory Board Management:
- Assist the AKESK CEO to manage Board/steering committee’s relationships and to ensure statutory compliance, as and where applicable.
Procurement, ICT and administration management:
- Provide leadership in planning as well as organization and implementation of the annual procurement, administrative and ICT work plans.
- Ensure total compliance to AKESK procurement policy as well as Value for Money (VFM) assurance.
- Develop and enforce systems for contracts, facilities and fleet management.
- Carry out a review of all insurable risks and maintain insurance cover accordingly.
- Review the capital projects financial reports and monitor the financial performance of AKES capital projects in Kenya and ensure an effective monitoring process.
- Assess the performance of each unit against their respective capital expenditure budgets and insure compliance with local rules and regulations, contracts and insurances.
- Support CEO and other senior management on operational management and willing to accept additional responsibilities, as and when needed by the Institution.
- A university graduate with professional and internationally recognized qualifications, preferably ACCA or CPA or equivalent Chartered Accountant.
- Worked for or qualified with, a professional accounting firm and a post-grad MBA or similar internationally recognized advance degree or professional qualification in finance.
- At least 15 years of professional experience in relevant field and having held a leadership role in a commercial or not for profit setting.
- Substantial experience in financial management of multiple business units and ideally experience gained in an education organization.
- Knowledge and practical experience of a wide range of business functions and systems, specifically financial.
- Additional experience in operational management, business analysis, audit, and compliance and familiarity with computer-based financial management systems would be valued.
- Cultural awareness, understanding and sensitivity.
- High level of drive and personal motivation, coupled with the presence required to interact effectively with senior personnel across the AKES system and the wider AKDN, as well as at government and non-governmental levels.
- Strong written and spoken English, including reports and proposal writing.
- High degree of professionalism, commitment and integrity.
- Clear understanding of strategy, as well as a keen sense of business.
- Ability to think creatively, solve problems and make decisions based on sound judgment drawing on expertise from others.
- Willingness to travel as and when needed.