Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
The world’s leading humanitarian, development and global health organizations rely on Ona to improve their impact and accountability. We build technology that affords new opportunities for governments and development organizations and actors to be increasingly collaborative, data-driven, and accountable to the people they serve. We also make tools that provide opportunities for organizations to make better use of their data to help address some of the world’s greatest challenges, including: maternal and child health, education, community resilience, agriculture, environmental sustainability, access to infrastructure and government accountability.
Ona works with its partners to develop data solutions based on technologies Ona develops. These include Ona Data (ona.io) – a mobile data collection and visualization platform, Canopy – our new enterprise analytics solution and OpenSRP (smartregister.org) a mobile health platform Ona is developing with the World Health Organization.
We are looking for an experienced Data Analyst to expand our advisory team, where we support our clients in their data-driven decisions and drive the development of Ona’s enterprise analytics software. The selected candidate will join a highly motivated and technically savvy team who are responsible for the design, implementation, and development of data analysis tools across Ona’s global project portfolio.
The Ideal candidate must have a strong understanding of data analysis and data visualization techniques, with the ability to deliver engaging and relevant insights using a variety of tools while working under minimal supervision. He/She should have a strong understanding of technology with a deep interest in global development issues, specifically within the humanitarian and health sectors.
We work globally on some of the world’s hardest problems partnering with organizations like the WHO, UNICEF, and DFID and are looking for people who are truly passionate about the potential of technology to drive positive change.
This role will report to the Data Analytics Lead
Key roles and responsibilities
- Deliver descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytic insights as reports, ad-hoc queries, and/or dashboards for operational and management reporting at an enterprise scale.
- Use Ona’s suite of data visualization and analysis tools to make complex information and data sets understandable through rich visual formats that are insightful, actionable, and relevant to the client problem.
- Work with other data solutions team members to understand, clarify, and document client data analysis and reporting needs, combining the technical analysis skills with critical thinking and understanding of the subject matter.
- Write queries and basic data pipelines to extract and combine information across datasets using a variety of technologies and tools (e.g. SQL, Python, NiFi). Suggest strategies to improve data structures and retrieval of critical information.
- Author XLSForms and define data collection strategies for client projects to simplify the collection process and minimize data cleaning.
- Perform research and analysis on large datasets – data exploration, trending, modelling, etc., contributing to Ona’s thought leadership in the sector.
- Engage directly with client staff to gather requirements, drive the completion of deliverables, provide training on Ona’s solutions, and answer questions.
- Provide regular input in the development of Ona’s proprietary analytics software by exposing client requirements and suggesting feature improvements to increase the value-add of our platforms.
- Work autonomously to complete assignments, managing the communication with clients and Ona’s senior management team in a professional and reliable manner.
- Represent the company at external conferences and events when required, helping spread the word and support the sale of our products, services, and solutions.
- Analytical mindset and drive to understand and solve problems using data. Self-starter capable of moving ahead without direct instructions or tight management.
- Able to prioritize among high value tasks in a fast-paced environment where multiple projects and activities are happening concurrently and priorities change rapidly.
- Able to take big, sometimes nebulous tasks and break them down into the right sequence.
- Strong interpersonal skills with proven ability to work with multidisciplinary teams and interact with clients.
- Excellent attention to detail and orientation toward meticulous work.
- Open to feedback and proactive in gaining skills and knowledge across new tools, technologies, processes, and relevant sectoral publications.
- Ability to communicate accurately and clearly in written and spoken English.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, e.g. Computer Science, Data Science, Business Intelligence, IT, Economics, Social Science or Engineering, etc.
- At least 3 years work experience in data analysis, consulting, BI and Analytics development or other related analytical activities. .
- Experience developing data visualizations, dashboards, and reports using widely-adopted data analytics or business intelligence platforms a plus (e.g. Superset, Tableau, PowerBI).
- Proficiency with SQL and SQL-inspired declarative query languages, ideally with experience working with large datasets (on relational as well as non-relational data stores).
- Sharp analytical skills and problem-solving abilities especially with data forecasting, cleansing and transformations. Advanced skills in Python or R are a strong plus.
- Advanced degrees in a relevant field, e.g. Computer Science, Data Science, Business Intelligence, IT, Economics, Social Science or Engineering.
- Comfort working with modern cloud database technologies (e.g. AWS, Azure) and familiarity with database modeling and data warehousing principles.
- Advanced statistical modelling and/or machine learning experience.
- Knowledge and experience working with agile methodologies and/or with project management tools (e.g. Wrike, Atlassian, Avaza, GitHub etc.)
Please send the following:
- Cover letter describing why you are interested in this position and working at Ona.
- Resume or CV.
- Portfolio of relevant work you have done.
Note we will only contact shortlisted candidates.