Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. This position is located in UNEP’s Science Division which is responsible for analyzing the state of the global environment, providing early warning information and assessing global and regional environmental trends to catalyze and promote international cooperation and action on the environment.
Under the overall direction of the Chief of the Capacity Development and Innovation Branch and direct supervision of the Senior Programme Management Officer, SDGs and Environment Statistics Unit. The incumbent will Support methodological development for obtaining relevant data, Contribute to the Common Country Analysis in the context of the UN Development System Reform, Develop new or improved statistical methods and quantitative models for analysis and projections, conduct analysis and provide guidance and advice to other departments, and field experts, and representation in statistical expert groups.
• Enhance the development of methods for obtaining relevant data for 26 SDG indicators for which UNEP is the Custodian Agency, mainly related to water, sustainable consumption and production, oceans, biodiversity, and chemicals and waste in cooperation with Partner Organisations.
• Compile and report data on the 26 SDG indicators for which UNEP is the Custodian Agency to the to the UN SDG global database. Ensure the quality of collected data for accuracy, consistency and comparability. Ensure that reporting data are validated by the countries. Provide metadata and indicator methodology guidance to countries.
• Provide analysis on the progress of SDG targets related to the evnvironmental dimension of the SDGs for the Secretary General’s Report on progress towards the goals and targets of the 2030 SD agenda at the global level. Provide analysis of progress on the environment dimension to UN Environment Assembly. Develop new or improved statistical methods and quantitative models for analysis and projections. Plan and conduct analytical programmes of work in relevant areas related to disaggregation of statistics, including gender environment statistics.
• Contribute to the Common Country Analysis in the context of the UN Development System Reform. Identify and prepare projects, conduct analysis and participate in technical advisory activities for national capacity building. Implement projects on capacity building of environment statistics in countries.
• Supervise and contribute to the development and maintenace of the World Environment Situation Room Global Database, web publishing tools and other software for collection, storage and distribution of statistical data; guidelines on environment statistics, and on-line training modules for capacity development on environment statistics.
• Undertake methodological research with regard to standards on concepts, definitions and classifications to assist countries and other constituents in strengthening their statistical development with regard to the Framework on Environment Statistics (FDES) and the System for Environmental and Economic Acounting (SEEA).
• Represent UNEP in the Committee of Chief Statisticians of the UN System. Provide guidance and advice to other departments, regional offices, field experts, etc., in the planning, operation and evaluation of statistical programmes and projects.
• Plan and co-ordinate seminars, workshops, expert meetings, side events, etc.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in statistics, mathematics or related field. A first level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in the collection, compilation, analysis and dissemination of statistical data or related area is required.
Experience with international negotiations related to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Global Indicator Framework, and the Statistical Commission is desirable.
Experience with capacity development on Environment Statistics is desirable.
Experience in developing and implementing statistical methodologies is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Deadline 14 October 2020
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.