Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF assists people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF East Africa (EAA) is an association of MSF established with an aim of improving participation of its members in the greater MSF movement and in the Eastern Africa home societies. EAA received official recognition by the International General Assembly in December 2011 of MSF EAA as an Associative entity within its movement. Our area of focus is primarily the Eastern Africa region of Somalia, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti, South Sudan, Sudan, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania and Kenya but membership is open to anyone around the world. MSF Eastern Africa Section is the proposed new MSF entity in the Eastern Africa (EA) region, an entity that will encompass the MSF EAA and the Nairobi Branch Office (NBO).
Given that, the COVID-19 pandemic poses unprecedented challenges to MSF, significantly our ability to fulfil duty of care obligations of every dimension, stretches our capacity to maintain and support existing programming and to respond to both the COVID-19 outbreak and other emerging crisis adequately. The Association has a joint responsibility to both comply and respect agreed principles, which have enabled MSF to expand its ability to provide humanitarian medical care to multiple populations across the globe over the past 50 years.
With the risk and opportunities posed by COVID-19, the Association is called upon to concentrate its ability to support, protect and preserve MSF’s operational ability. Under these circumstances the IB and the ExCom welcome and encourage all members of MSF to become part of the joint response wherever they are, acting within this framework, adapted to the local context, needs, and response capacities. In full acknowledgment of the risks, abundant ethical dilemmas, scarcity of resources and limited support capacities available and the unparalleled shift in working conditions that MSF is compelled to respect.
Purpose/Objective of the position
- Coordination and implementation of EAA COVID-19 emergency response intervention through delegated tasks and responsibilities, in collaboration with MSF Operations and other relevant stake holders within the region. Responsible for MSF’s EAA operational response in the COVID-19 project and coordinating MSF’s EAA’s project execution by identifying the population’s health needs and the humanitarian issues at stake. Managing the day-to-day implementation of the project according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures, ensuring engagement with EAA networks in the region, local authorities and other relevant actors in order to ensure successful and impactful intervention. Ensuring compliance to MSF’s charter, ethical standards and policies in order to realize organizational objectives and improve the target population’s health conditions and humanitarian situation.
The MSF EAA COVID-19 Project Manager reports functionally to the board of MSF EAA and is hierarchically under the EAA board.
The COVID-19 Project Manager will collaborate and work closely with the Health Promotion Supervisor and the Association Coordinator on all aspects/areas of COVID-19 as delegated by the EAA Board.
For administrative and office related issues the Project Manager works closely with the executive office/arm in Nairobi (HR, Finance Communications/other), guided by the MoU between the NBO and EAA.
Engagement with the MSF operations, NBO and other relevant stakeholders within the regions:
- Key focal person for MSF EAA in COVID-19 response.
- Engage with the HoMs within the region to define the needs, gaps and identify areas of collaboration.
- Through the support of NBO, strengthen coordination with other OCs in the region towards the successful implementation of the project.
- Represent MSF EAA at different Covid19 forums at national and county levels and network with other organisations working in COVID-19 response.
- Engagement periodically with the EAA COVID-19 taskforce in design and adaptation, brainstorming, feedback, support (as needed).
- Engage with NBO as per EAA/NBO MoU for day to day support and for key linkages to the Cell, Displacement unit, Protocol Office etc.
- Identify, network and engage with established partners in the MSF movement (institutional members).
- Ensure mobilisation and utilisation of the network of volunteers within the EAA membership.
- Collaborate with EAA urban spaces lead for optimisation of activities.
Project planning, Implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Responsible for the design and implementation of the project throughout its project cycle ensuring that MSFs technical and ethical standards are followed and objectives are achieved.
- With assistance of the Association Coordination Officer, ensure the planning and implementation of medical humanitarian activities on COVID-19, in close cooperation to established contacts within the OCs and EAA COVID-19 taskforce, in the identified locations, according to MSF standards and protocols, their monitoring and evaluation, as well as their outcomes.
- Coordinate the emergency response procedures and when necessary participate in exploratory missions to identify areas of collaboration.
- Monitor and analyse the political and humanitarian situation in the project area in order to identify the population’s health status and needs.
- Establish and maintain contacts with key stakeholders and carrying out exploratory missions in order to identify gaps and potential fields of intervention.
- With the support of EAA board, support the negotiations for access and define risks and constraints in order to make project proposals, set project targets and to calculate material, human and financial resources needed.
- Regular monitoring of the project to assess any potential bottlenecks and set corrective actions on time.
- Evaluate project performance and provide all the relevant periodic and final reports to EAA board on project planning, project monitoring and project evaluation in line with agreed reporting timelines.
- Supervise and support the Health promotion lead and network of Community Health workers implementing the project with representation at local level.
- Accountable for the proper planning, sizing, and coordination of all financial and material resources in the project in order to ensure successful delivery of the project while also ensuring proper control of financial indicators and the project budget.
- Supervise all procurement (health promotional materials and other logistics requests) and the Project’s purchases, with the support of Association office/NBO Finance and as per policy, in order to ensure efficiency and early detect deviations and its causes.
Communication and Networking
- Work in close collaboration with the NBO communications office in raising visibility and awareness of the project locally and internationally.
- Develop visibility material with close collaboration with the Communications manager and the health promotion supervisor.
- Promote a culture of proactive information sharing with all relevant contributing partners.
- Draft key messaging on the status of the project milestones achieved to be shared with the members.
- Bearing witness, documenting and raising awareness for the target populations needs/distress.
Training and Learning
- In close collaboration with the key partners, coordinate development of training materials on COVID-19 and ensure successful dissemination to HPS, CHW, EAA members and their communities.
- Lead the capacity building trainings/webinars on COVID-19 focusing on clinical management, HP and mental health medical protocols. Responsible for content development and validation, mobilisation of attendees, reviews, adaptation etc in collaboration with relevant partners
- Responsible for providing briefing, evaluation, learning & development and internal communication on project challenges and milestones achieved.
Knowledge and information management
- Document the relevant information on COVID-19 and ensuring its centralised in the association repository in order to preserve institutional memory.
- Responsible for synthesizing raw data into readable formats to support the decision-making process and inform areas that need strengthened capacities during the project cycle.
- Perform other tasks delegated on ad hoc by the EAA COVID-19 task force team depending on the dimension of the project.
- University degree in medicine, public health, nursing or related field. Masters Degree an added advantage
- Complemented experience in or certification in project planning and management.
- Essential working experience of at least two years in relevant similar jobs in other NGO’s, or previous field experience with MSF in different contexts.
- Essential working experience of networking and engaging with communities
- Essential working experience in developing countries and understanding of the Eastern Africa Region.
Specific skills and requirements
- Genuine interest in, understanding of, and commitment to; the humanitarian principles, MSF associative structure, social mission, operations, and challenges of MSF.
- Experience in project planning, management and leadership
- Able to work in a multi-cultural environment; ability to recognize, respect, learn from and integrate cultural differences.
- Outstanding time management and organizational skills with the ability to handle large volumes of work, track multiple projects and support multiple groups or activities at any one time.
- Strong team player with the ability and interpersonal skills to interact and communicate at all levels of MSF
- Able to work successfully under pressure within short deadlines; maintaining appropriate priorities, adequate detail, flexibility, and positivity.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Proactive, highly motivated and responsible, able to work with limited supervision, accountable and honest.
- Fluent/proficiency in English and Swahili (reading and writing). French an added advantage.
- Computer literacy with excellent MS Office, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel with ability to effectively navigate through social media and interactive platforms
Terms and Conditions
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travel (regional).
- Job dimension: 40 % ( 2 days per week)
- Employment Start Date: ASAP
- Position duration: 3 Months Consultancy/part time based Contract.
- Remuneration: Daily rate base of KES. 18,369.
Please send your application by 11th September 2020 . Click the button below to apply.
We thank you for your interest; please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.