Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Program Accountant to Support accounting and reporting at program level, the job holder is an important source of financial information on supported projects/programs. (S)he will work to ensure projects remain compliant to ILRI policies and donor rules/regulations.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
Reporting, Audits and Filing:
- Prepare detailed monthly, quarterly and annual internal financial reports for supported projects and CRPs highlighting issues on over/under expenditure, commitments and project end dates.
- Identify any incorrect entries and liaise with PM and PI for approval to pass adjusting journal entries in the system.
- Track donor reporting timelines to ensure timely preparation of reports;
- Using appropriate templates, prepare donor financial reports/statements in collaboration with PM and PIs for Finance Manager’s (or designate) review.
- Raise invoices & follow up reimbursements and transfer advices from donors.
- Compute project accruals annually and during project close outs and ensure they are captured in the system at the right accounting period.
- Identify projects to be audited at least four months before scheduled start date and liaise with Finance Officer for planning.
- Work closely with internal and external auditors in facilitating effective project audits by availing required documents and responding to queries (in collaboration with the Finance Officer) to ensure all issues are resolved and clean (unqualified) report provided.
- Maintain proper financial records of projects – both soft and hard.
- Perform other post-award functions in relation to receivables and payables reconciliation, budget revisions and project closeout functions.
Collaborators Support and Accounting:
- Prepare projects payment requests for partners in collaboration with Project/Program Manager (PM) and Project Leaders.
- Ensure project partners’ financial reports are received in time and sample supporting documents are requested and reviewed for compliance with contractual obligations.
- Support in building the capacity of partners to enhance compliance to ILRI and donor guidelines.
- Make necessary follow ups to ensure timely payments to collaborators and ensure transfer advices are shared.
- Enter partner expenditure in Agresso and ensure relevant supporting documents are (scanned) uploaded.
Budgeting and Proposal Development:
- Provide advise especially in unit costs etc. towards development of proposal budgets.
- Prepare proposal budgets for review by PM and Project Leader before submission to Finance Manager.
- Support PM during institutional budgeting.
- Share project budgets (in recommended format) for uploading in Agresso.
- Review BvA reports frequently and share proposals for budget adjustments.
Review of Staff and Consultant Payments:
- Reviewing travel advance requests for compliance with ILRI policies.
- Reviewing travel expense reports to ensure that support documents (attendance lists, payment lists, per diem calculator, trip reports, original receipts etc.) have been attached;
- Ensuring the validity and accuracy of all submitted receipts by periodically sampling receipts/payments and clarifying sampled expenses with vendors/payees.
- Reviewing consultant ToRs to ensure all proposed payments are legitimate and fully supported and making the necessary entries in the financial system.
- Preparing reports on status of program staff and consultant accounts for P(g)Ms review.
- Train the alternate position all aspects of this job to ensure continuity.
- Provide additional support on demand to the clients of the unit.
- Help other unit members to learn and excel in their work.
- Can be called upon to work on tasks relating to other programs or sections within finance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or related field.
- Full accounting qualifications – CPA (K) or ACCA.
- At least three years of relevant work experience.
- Work experience in non-profit or international organization
- Knowledge of computerized accounting software required – preferably Agresso
- Good computer skills.
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya
Terms of Appointment
This position is at job level HG 13 and it is only open to Kenyan nationals. This is a temporary position for 6 months.
How to apply:
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab above before 22 September 2020. The position title and reference number REF: CSPA/09/2020 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.