Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Shining Hope for Communities (SHOFCO) is an internationally-recognized grassroots organization that unlocks the potential of urban slum dwellers to lead hopeful and fulfilling lives. SHOFCO disrupts survival mode by providing critical services including health care, clean water, education, and economic empowerment; and linking these efforts to a community-led advocacy platform. SHOFCO currently impacts over 350,000 individuals across 10 urban slums in Kenya, and is the largest employer in Kibera. SHOFCO is a trusted name and service provider in Kibera with a 10-year track record. For more information, please visit www.shofco.org.
The purpose of this role is to provide an independent and objective audit function for SHOFCO’s operations to ensure the integrity of operations and improve SHOFCO’s operations. It helps SHOFCO accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes. The key responsibilities of the role are the management of the risk register reporting regularly on mitigation actions taken against agreed indicators; the review of policies and systems required to support the management of risk; the independent investigation of key areas of concern that arise; and review of Board compliance.
The primary responsibility of this role is to further our vision of: Building Urban Promise from Urban Poverty
The post holder commits to and is held accountable to the SHOFCO values: Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Respect, Grassroots, Innovation.
Key duties and responsibilities
Management of the Risk Register
- Establishment and review of the SHOFCO Risk Register to be reviewed by CEO and approved by the Board.
- Identification of data and indicators to be monitored by directors monthly and reported to the Board quarterly in relation to Finance, Human Resources, Procurement and Logistics, and Programme Operations.
- Revision of risk assessments and the introduction of new ones as the need arises.
- Updating and maintaining the risk register.
- Updating and maintaining the fraud and gift register.
Review of Policies and Systems
- Review of all policies and systems and recommendations for amendment.
- Agreement of minimum standards against each policy area.
- Monitoring of review timetable.
- Testing of effectiveness through regular visits and checks.
- Recommendations for amendments arising from review of implementation.
- Follow up reviews for implementation of agreed recommendations
Independent investigation of key areas of concern that arise.
- Discreet investigations into issues of concern identified by Management
- Responses to whistleblowing
- Prompt reports and recommended actions
- Work with departments to develop and implement spot checks on program implementation and data reporting.
Reporting & External audit
- Timely Quarterly and activity reports and Internal audit findings to CEO.
- Annual summary internal audit reports on status of all recommendations.
- Support external SHOFCO audit process.
People and administration
- To supervise, appraise, coach and manage the SHOFCO Internal Auditors.
- Review team’s field expenses and accountabilities.
- Perform other related roles as requested by management.
General IA audit work
- Develop team audit plans and present them to CEO.
- Develop audit for different processes and controls.
- Support management in making value for money audits.
- Develop and maintain work papers.
- Review Internal Auditor’s work papers and field reports
- Bachelors degree in Commerce, Finance, or any other relevant discipline.
- Hold a recognised professional accounting qualification (e.g. ACMA, CGMA, ACA, ACCA, CIPFA, CIA) (Desirable).
- Be a registered with a professional body.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, procedures and practises of accounting, auditing, financial records and transactions.
- Ability to write clear concise and accurate audit reports in English essential.
- Familiar with integrated accounting systems.
- Familiar with computer aided audit techniques.
More Details on Experience
- 5 years’ experience of using and implementing audit procedures, including planning, techniques, test, and sampling methods.
- Experience of using computerised accounting and auditing record keeping systems.
- Experience of establishing and retaining effective working relationships with staff and ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to gather, analyse and evaluate facts and to prepare and present high quality, high value added concise oral and written reports in English.
- Ability to maintain current knowledge of developments related to business matters of interest to internal audit, particularly legislation changes and developments as they affect charities, and new auditing techniques and practises.
- Experience of utilizing computer aided audit techniques.
- Experience of auditing compliance with complex & high impact donor Agreements.
- Experience of influencing colleagues at all levels of a major international organisation.
More Details on Skills
- A skilled negotiator.
- Clear attention to detail.
- Self-sufficient and able to set and meet own work plan timetables.
Terms And Conditions
Successful performance at SHOFCO is not simply defined in terms of ‘what’ people achieve, but equally is about ‘how’ people go about their jobs and the impact that they have on others. There are 10 key behaviours that SHOFCO encourages in all employees and they are defined below:
- Examining Information: Processing information, asking probing questions and Finding solutions.
- Adapting practical approaches : Applying practical skills, Learning by doing and applying common sense.
- Articulating information: Giving presentations, explaining things and projecting social confidence.
- Making decisions: Deciding on action, assuming responsibility and standing by decisions.
- Thinking positively: Being optimistic, recovering from setbacks and projecting cheerfulness.
- Team working: Working participatively, encouraging team contributions and involving others in decisions.
- Checking things: Finding errors, ensuring accuracy and finishing tasks.
- Managing tasks: Working methodically, planning activities and setting priorities.
- Taking action: Making things happen, using initiative and investing energy.
- Pursuing goals: Achieving outstanding results, acting with determination and persisting through difficulties.
How to Apply
Please submit your application before 28 September, 2020.