Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Head, Hub for Agricultural Policy Action, Nairobi, Kenya – Job Reference: HAPA/PSC/09/2020
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
Under its 5-year strategy, AGRA looks to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
The Hub for Agricultural Policy Action (HAPA) which sits within the Policy & State Capability Division of AGRA, is a distinct service offering by AGRA to provide consolidation and translation advisory services to governments seeking to reform, refine and/ or develop a more clearly defined policy direction. The approach recognizes the urgent need for timely policy support to the Agriculture sector, which plays an important role in ensuring inclusive growth. It also recognizes the demands for political expediency and the need to ensure that a particular policy direction is anchored in evidence. The approach proposed also addresses the challenge posed by the high turnover of senior government decision makers by engaging local capacity and building on existing knowledge and partnerships. It will also draw on international and continental best practice and enhance the use of evidence given the salient political realities in policy making.To support this objective, AGRA is seeking to recruit the role of Head, Hub for Agricultural Policy Action (HAPA).
This role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya, with frequent travel (local and international) to engage with AGRA teams and government units.
The Head of HAPA will be responsible for the overall leadership of the Hub, reporting directly to the Vice-President, Policy and State Capability. They will be considered a leading expert resource on the management of agriculture policy in Africa and will be expected to lead innovation on provision of evidence-based policy to African governments.
The Head of HAPA will be able to authoritatively and accurately articulate economic and social analysis, providing conceptual and operational clarity. They will have the ability to translate and communicate complex analysis simply and with political relevance. The Head of HAPA must possess an entrepreneurial and innovative mindset. Alongside this they should have a good grasp of technical and economic aspects, exceptional managerial skills, and experience engaging with senior public officials, collaborating and strengthening partnerships with other stakeholders in the policy space.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leading the recruitment to build the HAPA team, including policy project managers and analysts, as well as operational staff.
- Setting organizational strategy, building impact driven relationships across select priority countries.
- Leading the development, structuring and occasional implementation of strategic partnerships in collaboration with the resource mobilization team, technical teams and in-country teams.
- Guiding the identification, mapping and collaboration with the highest quality institutional sources of data and evidence in Africa.
- Sourcing, validating and prioritising incoming government demands through a collaborative, consultative process.
- Driving the building of the pipeline of work for HAPA.
- Conducting research as needed to inform and shape the effort(s) within policy consolidation and translation, and best practices.
- Designing and iterating a policy engagement plan with the range of leading actors in data and evidence generation, selection, analysis.
- Innovating and synergising new models for engagement.
- Working closely with the respective AGRA Country Manager and the Policy and State Capability Team to add value from a consolidation and translation perspective to existing policy implementation efforts and ensure the delivery of an integrated policy support package to governments.
- Shaping the delivery of the best set of policy options in line with the government request for support.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant Experience:
- Over 10 years’ work experience in agricultural economic policy design, implementation and management working with government, development partners or other such institutions.
- A PhD or Masters degree in economics, economic studies or related fields.
- Strong quantitative/financial knowledge, including experience working with complex economic models.
- Established relationships with key national, regional and international partners working on state capability and policy development.
- Experience in developing and managing strong partnerships and relationships inside and outside the organization, managing conflicts, and building consensus.
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrable ability to engage government, development partners and private sector.
- Superior delivery and leadership capacity, with the ability to synthesize strategic intent into tangible deliverables that drive institutional progress.
- Strong understanding of Africa’s policy and political landscape as it relates to governance, policy and trade.
- Experience in policy research and analysis, project management, and Monitoring & Evaluation.
- Good command of English, fluency in French will be an advantage.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with this position’s responsibility will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to email@example.com noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of your email)
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer