Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
The Kenya Mortgage Refinance Company (KMRC) was incorporated on 19th April 2018 as a non-deposit taking financial institution under the supervision of the Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) for purposes of providing long-term funds to Primary Mortgage Lenders (Banks, Microfinance Banks and Saccos) so as to increase the availability and affordability of mortgage loans to Kenyans. KMRC objectives are aligned with the Government Affordable Housing Agenda.
In order to drive our strategy, we seek to recruit a suitable candidate to fill the following position:
Head of Legal Services
Purpose of the Job: Responsible for managing legal issues and risks faced by the Company including litigation, managing contracts, preparation and review of contracts, perfection of securities, providing legal advisory, ensures compliance with the organization’s governing structures and providing company secretarial services including managing board meetings and related documentation.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities are as follows:
I. Managerial Roles and Responsibilities:
a) Oversee the delivery of corporation secretarial services to KMRC’s Board of Directors and coordinate the business of the Board.
b) Ensure the efficient and proper perfection of securities and maintenance of collaterals.
c) Vetting of legal reports pertaining to properties to be taken as collateral and advice on issues related to stamp duties; registration of documents etc as part of due diligence of the property related documents’.
d) Resolution of complaints/claims from third party regarding any legal dispute on collateral, loan agreements and other legal documents.
e) Manage the drafting and/or review of Contracts/agreements, service level agreements, Memorandum of Understanding, indemnity, articles of association, leases, handling arbitration cases and other legal documents between KMRC and other parties to ensure that the interests of the Company are protected.
f) Proactively advise management on legal and commercial risks associated with transactions, proposing suitable risk mitigating actions.
g) Ensure that KMRC complies with relevant legislation, Regulations, Guidelines/rules and keep abreast with legal reforms.
h) In consultation with external counsel where applicable provide legal advisory and opinion to KMRC to support strategic decision making.
i) Coordinate and facilitate the induction and training of Board members.
j) Advise the Board and Management on requirements for compliance with corporate governance codes and relevant legislation.
k) Oversee the procurement of legal services providers and their effective management to ensure delivery of quality legal services.
l) Undertake legal research on best practices on matters relating to KMRC core business and propose appropriate determinations, decisions or recommendations thereon.
m) Undertake continuous and periodic review of executed contracts to ensure effective contract management and safe custody of contracts and agreements and track their validity.
n) Represent the KMRC’s in legal proceedings, including amicus briefs.
o) Represent KMRC in resolution of complaints through mediation, negotiation, reconciliation and prepare periodic reports on legal disputes and remedial action taken by the KMRC.
p) Advise the Board, Management and staff on changes to the laws affecting the company from time to time.
q) Participate in developing and leading corporate legal strategy to promote and protect the company’s matters.
r) Participate in developing and leading internal audit and corporate compliance programs.
s) Oversee delivery of legal services and resources to accomplish corporate goals, strategies and priorities.
t) Supervise the team of corporate counsel in the Legal department.
II. Operational Roles and Responsibilities:
a) Undertake all conveyancing activities in relation to KMRC refinancing operations.
b) Review progress of outstanding litigation and liaising with and managing external lawyers.
c) Monitor the execution of Board Resolutions.
d) Maintain records of contracts, leases, loan agreements and the covenants therein.
e) Provide timely information on renewals or termination of contracts/agreements.
f) Draw up contracts, lease documents, loan agreements and other legal documents.
g) Liaise with relevant departments to ensure that where legal risks have been identified, appropriate courses of action have been taken.
h) Provide and interpret legal information, conduct training and disseminate appropriate legal requirements to staff.
i) Coordinate follow-up of all court cases facing the Company and attend hearings where necessary, follow up on judgements and costs on behalf of the Company.
j) Follow up with HODs on where action needs to be undertaken on matters arising from board meetings.
k) Ensure that all physical and electronic records including confidential and sensitive Company documents are safely kept and a record of the same retained at all times.
l) Compile board reports/board pack and power point presentations for board meetings; and
m) Take minutes in board meetings.
III. Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Key Result Areas:
The jobholder’s accountability areas are outlined as follows:
- Submission of accurate, timely and relevant reporting on legal activities
- Compliance with statutory obligations
- Management of contractual risks
- Successful implementation of quality control standards for services offered by the department
- Continuous improvement of services through efficient working
- Enforcement of relevant guidelines, rules and regulations
- Efficient coordination of meetings as may be assigned
- Efficient management of filing and document retrieval system
- Ensure customer satisfaction for the consumers of the services offered by the department.
- Law, Business Administration, Public Administration, Banking and Finance or equivalent qualifications
Required Degree: NA
Knowledge and Skills Required:
The jobholder must possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law (LLB) from a recognized Institution.
- Master’s Degree in any of the following disciplines: Law, Business Administration, Public Administration, Banking and Finance or equivalent qualifications from a recognized Institution.
- A Postgraduate Diploma in Legal studies from the Council of Legal Education in Kenya.
- A Certified Public Secretary CPS (K) certification and a member of the Institute of Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya (ICPSK) in good standing.
- Membership to the Law Society of Kenya (LSK) with a valid practicing certificate.
- An advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
- A minimum of ten (10) years demonstrated professional experience in legal practice and board secretarial services with five (5) years at senior managerial level and/or corporate board secretarial function.
- Should have thorough knowledge of the financial sector in security perfection and review of commercial transactions as well as knowledge of regulatory requirements.
- Must have ability to plan, organize, implement and evaluate assigned goals.
- Must demonstrate ability to handle multiple and conflicting priorities, and work under strict deadlines.
- Should have strong analytical and be result oriented.
- Must have high standards of integrity and ethical practice.
- Must be capable of functioning effectively both as a team player and a team leader.
- Must have management skills.
- Must have ability to accurately plan work assignments, prioritize tasks and deliver deadlines.
- Should have problem solving and decision-making abilities.
- Should be an effective communicator with the ability to handle both internal and external communication.
- Should have effective people management and conflict resolution skills.
- Must have knowledge in use of MS office packages.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
For a detailed job profile, requirements for appointment, terms of reference and application procedure, please visit KMRC’s website https://kmrc.co.ke/careers
Applications should be received on or before close of business on October 16, 2020.
KMRC is an equal opportunity employer and qualified applicants from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
KMRC is licensed and regulated by the Central Bank of Kenya (CBK)