Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
We are currently looking for an energetic, talented, well connected and innovative individual to join our Advocacy and Communications Unit as the Regional Advocacy Manager
The Regional Advocacy Manager will support the Region and the Country Offices as needed on all advocacy-related matters and be responsible for supporting global advocacy policies and position papers for the region and globally where relevant. The position may also require providing back-up support and capacity for Country Offices.
Job Responsibility # 1: Country Office Support
- In-Country special projects/assignment support as requested by Country Offices (CO) , working with the CO focal supports
- Work with the CO’s to ensure a good level of advocacy capacity and provide advocacy positions and advocacy policy training, coaching and mentoring as needed with CO focal points, and as needed to staff and management
- When necessary conduct field visits to COs to review and support on the Advocacy Strategy, Policies and Papers, and support COs in their needs or ascertain Advocacy requirements.
- Review any standard reporting supported by Advocacy papers and Policy documents being used in each office and the Region to ensure compliance and standardization in each context
- Serves as a point of contact and initial escalation point for questions about policy, procedure, and requirements for CARE Advocacy for the focal points and in each office and the Region.
- Monitoring and Reporting: Gathers relevant information and ensures timely submission of advocacy reports as per CARE requirements. Maintains good understanding of ECSA COs’ ongoing and planned advocacy initiatives, wins, achievements and emerging opportunities. Responsible for following up and monitoring the context, including on institutional and political evolution of the policies and agendas related to the topics covered by regional strategy. Monitors advocacy messages published by other organizations and networks to ensure maximum impact and to build synergies.
Job Responsibility #2: Delivery on Regional Advocacy Priorities
- With support from the CARE International (CI) Advocacy Coordinator and the Regional Management Team:
- Strategy implementation: Supports the coordination of CI’s regional and global advocacy with other parts of the CI strategic plan and relevant CI outcome areas (e.g. FNs, GBV, SRH, WEE, CCR).
- Works closely with the Regional Communications department and relevant CO staff to translate the strategy into actions, develops plans on how to reach relevant audiences and advocacy targets, and influence decision-makers.
- Based on emerging opportunities, recommends to the RMT those advocacy initiatives that should be prioritized with the aim to strengthen CI’s joint advocacy in general, and CI’s response to priority issues in particular.
- Works with CI’s global advocacy initiative leaders and communications staff, and within established procedures, advises the Regional Director on advocacy positions and public statements. Leads on sign off of relevant regional products as per CARE global sign off procedures. Provide Support on the East Central & Southern Africa Regional Strategic Advocacy priorities and targets
- Representation: Represents CARE and actively participates in forums relevant to humanitarian advocacy priorities as agreed with Regional Director and other relevant stakeholders and with the aim to engage in regional dialogues.
- Continues to map relevant forums for COVID-19 and humanitarian advocacy actions.
- Links with relevant global and regional stakeholders with the aim of building alliances for advocacy actions.
- Using analytics to understand take up and reach of Advocacy Policies and papers, and adjust strategy and tactics accordingly for the best impact in the region and wider.
Job Responsibility # 3: Resourcing
- Support the CO’s in resourcing their CO Advocacy focal points
- Support the Induction for new focal points and build up the internal Advocacy network across the region
- Coach, train and mentor as needed
- Support any performance management of the CO focal points when requested
Job Responsibility # 4: Administrative
- Support in conducting surveys and benchmarks that will ensure ECSA stays current and relevant in their Advocacy Policies and Papers in the Region and supports the CARE strategies
- Establish networks with Key International NGOs at the national and international level and keep abreast of the external environment and any Government initiatives that impact on CARE Strategies and programmes
- Support the CO focal points and management in ensuring effective rollout of any Global Advocacy strategies and papers in COs in the region
- Ensure organograms, contact lists, networks and information flow lines are constantly updated and shared appropriately.
- Develops and implements additional components of an Advocacy toolkit and templates for use in local offices
Job Responsibility # 5: Other duties as assigned
- Other duties and projects as assigned
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Effective Policy making and Writing, Political studies, International policy and Development, International Advocacy and Development or similar fields
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in a similar role including general Policy and advocacy work including position papers and campaigning work (on site) in emergencies and development contexts. Previous work experience with an international and Humanitarian NGO may be an advantage.
- Understanding of gendered impacts of humanitarian crisis.
- Experience working in a regional Advocacy position, preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and written and oral communication skills;
- Proven excellent and extensive IT skills
- Proven ability to work with complex data, analyzing, evaluating and synthesizing accurately and comprehensively
- Ability to travel regionally and internationally as needed.
- Ability to take direction, yet work independently to create, innovate and complete good quality work to tight deadlines.
- Familiarity with Advocacy and Campaigning networks in the COs within the region.
- Demonstrated ability to work in multi-cultural situations
- Proven ability to handle challenging work load and meet deadlines
- Proven Cross-cultural experience, understanding and sensitivity;
- Positive attitude, good sense of humour and service oriented.
The position has working relations with the following:
Internal: Regional Management Team (RMT), Regional Leadership Team (RLT), CI Advocacy Coordinator, CI Advocacy Working Group, CO advocacy focal points
External: Other INGOs and networks, Government bodies and Institutions
Travel – Expected to travel at least 25% when the situation allows
This job description is intended as a guide and should not be viewed as an inflexible specification as it may be varied from time to time in the light of strategic developments and following discussion with the post holder
How to Apply
If you feel that you are driven, challenged and motivated to join our organization in this particular role, can contribute to the fight against poverty, and have the necessary requirements, kindly send your application that includes cover letter and updated CV attached as one document to ECSA.Recruitment@care.org on or before 30th October 2020. The subject title of the application must read Regional Advocacy Manager.
We do require that you have the legal ability to work in Kenya, as well as the necessary experience for this position. While we would like to respond to all applicants, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CARE seeks to improve the lives of the most marginalized, particularly women and girls. Our diversity is our strength. We strongly encourage women of various backgrounds and abilities to apply.