Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It’s about showing how you embody our valued behaviours – do the right thing, better together and never settle – as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We’re committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture – one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
Principal Head, Treasury Markets Kenya and East Africa – (2000014146)
- TM acts as guardian of the Group’s balance sheet and liquidity by driving asset liability management that is transparent, trusted and well respected. TM is the first line of defence responsible for managing the short-term liquidity position of the Bank.
- TM’s principles are:
- Always act in the best interest of the Bank
- Never compromise the structural integrity of the balance sheet
- Awareness and understanding of the Group’s business strategy and model appropriate to the role
Lead the Treasury Markets Desk in the implementation of its strategy for optimal management of the country Balance Sheet. This covers the management of liquidity, credit and interest rate mismatches, as well as own account discretionary investment positions. Assuming overall responsibility for Treasury Markets activities, including:
- Prudent day-to-day and intraday management of the liquidity position in the country, including the day-to-day compliance with Group Policies and Guidelines, Local Regulatory requirements, local payment system and intraday liquidity requirements
- The maintenance of the bank’s presence in the inter-bank market to aid funding and investment activities
- The management of both revenue and cost budgets
- Management of interest rate mismatch and risk positions to maximise returns (through P&L and MTM)
- Sourcing diversified low cost funds
- Managing operating costs
The job holder must also ensure the Bank is adequately funded and has a funding strategy to meet planned asset/liabilities growth of the commercial balance sheet and has plans for unanticipated contingencies.
TM business and risk management processes are defined and governed in various risk, governance and control committees (e.g., TM PGC).
- Ensure issues, suspicious activities and/or red flags are escalated immediately upon discovery.
- Any delegation of formal authority is correctly documented and recorded accordingly and relevant location managers are informed.
- Any operational losses are investigated and monitored to avoid recurrence. Root causes to be investigated and escalated to relevant management.
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations from their team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
- Ensure Travel & Entertainment related expenses always comply with policy. This includes, where required pre-approval of client entertainment and recording in the appropriate registry.
- Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of people and ensure that holders of all critical functions are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles ensuring that they have effective supervision in place to mitigate any risks.
- Employ, engage and retain high quality people, with succession planning for critical roles.
- Responsibility to review team structure/capacity plans.
- Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives.
- Responsible for identifying, assessing, monitoring, controlling and mitigating risks to the Group. Also, must have awareness and understanding of the main risks facing the Group and the role the individual plays in managing them.
- This role entails managing multiple Financial Markets risks including liquidity risk, market access risk, maturity concentration risk and interest rate risk of the Bank’s Balance Sheet.
- The ability to interpret the Group’s financial information, identify key issues based on this information and put in place appropriate controls and measures.
- Ensure a full understanding of the risk and control environment in area of responsibility.
- Ensure Statutory (both Group and local) Liquidity requirements and internal Group Limits are adhered to
- Lead the way in the ALCO forum through active participation, providing ALCO members with timely balance sheet analysis and market information, ensuring other ALCO members are always engaged in an up-to-date Balance Sheet strategy that compliments the bank’s revenues aspiration.
- Propose, negotiate and regularly advise on the Funds Transfer Pricing for the Bank, in a consistent manner and in compliance with the Group policies, taking into account local market dynamics
- Support ALCO in decisions relating to Capital requirements and management, proposing investment strategies, and market research
- Support development of active RWA management and adherence to country targets
- Show creativity when proposing solutions to specific funding problems, engineering solutions and ‘thinking outside of the box’
- Proactively manage IAS39/IFRS9 related issues ensuring full compliance, as well as identifying arising risks and opportunities and ensure full documentation for all hedges
- Prove ability in managing change, especially when imposed by the external environment (regulatory)
- Manage daily liquidity ensuring adherence to all internal and external limits
- Maintain strategic capability to meet stressed liquidity conditions if and when required
- Ensure that all lending and investment decisions are made within Treasury Risk and Credit limits
- Ensure that all compliance and Local regulatory requirements are met as appropriate
- Support and develop the payment systems and ensure the Bank’s liquidity supports the capability of meeting customer payment needs
- Liaise with support services and the back office on behalf of the team, to maintain the provision of high quality services to traders
- Ensure that full advantage is taken by traders of the available technology support
- Represent the TM business in projects involving the implementation of major changes in the systems technology area
- Take overall responsibilities for the IM, LM and TM Support functions, ensuring they function as a team.
- Responsible for assessing the effectiveness of the Group’s arrangements to deliver effective governance, oversight and controls in the business and, if necessary, oversee changes in these areas.
- Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework, in which the Group operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role.
- Responsible for delivering ‘effective governance’; capability to challenge fellow executives effectively; and willingness to work with any local regulators in an open and cooperative manner.
- Take responsibility for guiding and influencing the ALCO, to ensure the balance sheet of the Bank is managed in line with the relevant governance guidelines and standards.
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania Treasury Markets teams to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Comply with all applicable laws and regulations across jurisdictions
- Ensure money laundering prevention; requirements and procedures are communicated and clarified to TM staff
- Ensure the procedure of suspicious transactions monitoring within TM is communicated
- Report any issues related to money laundering prevention arising within the unit to Business MLPO
- Vet and assist in the investigation of suspicious transaction reports originating from unit staff
- Communicate with Relationship Manager (RM) on money laundering requirements and suspicious transactions
- Financial Markets Desk Heads and Dealers operating within country and other centres as needed
- Regional Head of Treasury-Risk and Treasury-Risk staffs in country
- Country ALCO members
- Financial Markets Operations staff
- Head of CIB and RMs in country
- Head of Retail Bank, and key managers
- Financial Markets heads and Heads of TM in the region
- TM PGC members and Heads of TM in Group hubs
- Treasurers and Dealers of other local banks and financial institutions
- Central Bank
- Money brokers
- Regulatory bodies
- Embed Here for Good and Group’s brand and values in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania Treasury Markets teams.
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
- University degree in a commercial/financial discipline with good analytical skills and ability to make speedy and accurate decisions under pressure.
- Job involves knowing, predicting and reacting to interest rates changes and trends and subsequent taking of appropriate trading/investment positions to minimise interest rate risk.
- Good knowledge of banking and the mechanics of the money market operations.
- The individual should also possess the ability to analyse and interpret economic data. Computer literary a must.
- The individual should be self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Possession of good interpersonal skills, communication skills and ability to convince others are pre-requisites.
- Good judgement of opportunities arising in the market and act quickly to convert it into deals.
- Ability to analyse market trends and information to further business growth.
- Ability to manage the team and encourage working together; ability to motivate team members to perform to their fullest capabilities.
- Liaise effectively with other areas of the Bank in order to enlarge the client portfolio.
- Should be able to advise the Treasurer on an ongoing basis about market conditions and trends so that appropriate strategies can be put in place.
Unposting Date: 21/Oct/2020
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages. We welcome conversations on flexible working.