Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Position Status: Full-Time, Regular
Salary Level: Officer Level
About Mercy Corps: Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
We are looking for committed and dynamic individual to take up the Gender Inclusion and Social Change Officer position.
Program / Department Summary: With funding from USAID’s Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA), Mercy Corps’ Nawiri Program is leading a consortium of Kenyan and international partners on a five- year journey to sustainably reduce persistent acute malnutrition in Turkana and Samburu Counties of Kenya.
Through a phased approach that emphasizes evidence gap analysis, as well as partnership, learning, and co-creation, the program takes a robust county-centered design with government leadership, active engagement from communities, the private sector, and civil society.
Mercy Corps’ consortium brings together the global leadership, research capacity, technical expertise, and implementation experience necessary to partner with local institutions to test, adapt, and scale evidence-based solutions. Together we will sustainably reduce persistent acute malnutrition for vulnerable populations in Turkana and Samburu counties.
General Position / Department Summary: The Gender Inclusion & Social Change officer will be responsible for implementing the gender and social dimensions’ interventions of malnutrition, food security and resilience.
S/he will ensure effective and efficient roll out of planned gender/social change activities through day to day coordination at the county level. Under the overall guidance of the Gender, Youth and Social Lead S/he will support the implementation of gender transformative approaches as captured in the gender strategy.
Through research and learning activities, that are designed and executed in close collaboration with county government, civil society, private sector, and communities themselves, there is an inherent need to understand the opportunities and challenges that are unique to women, youth and adolescents in Turkana/Samburu so that programming can be adapted.
The Gender Inclusion & Social Change Officer will support and action our understanding of the complex causality of persistent acute malnutrition as it relates to the varied needs of women, men, girls, and boys in Samburu/Turkana County.
To ensure the gender and social dimensions of food security and resilience are effectively addressed across all activities and components, the Gender Inclusion & Social Change Officer will work with the team and coordinate closely with partners to fulfill gender and social change goals of the program.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Supports the Gender, Youth and Social Dynamics lead in contextually translating the vision for Nawiri’s approach when it comes to the integration of gender, youth and social dynamics.
- Support the development, integration and mainstreaming of Nawiri’s Gender Strategy with a view to strengthen gender responsiveness and gender transformational approaches in all programmatic interventions, with a nutrition lens.
- Ensure high quality and timeliness on deliverables against intended objectives and targets.
- Ensure broad-based county co-creation mechanism towards the development of a contextually relevant Structural and Social Behavior change strategy to guide effective integration in key sectors such as nutrition, health, water systems, and governance – throughout the program’s cycle.
- Contribute to and support the development of detailed implementation plans of gender and social change interventions.
- Support field research, learning and implementation of adolescent and youth interventions ensuring the adoption of mechanisms and approaches that enhance agency and leadership of adolescents and youth with a view to challenge intergenerational cycles of poverty and persistent acute malnutrition.
- Provide oversight to the gender/social change program components at the county level, including undertaking field visits to oversee implementation and generate field visit reports.
- Support in the monitoring of project activities to ensure they are inclusive and support reflection and adaptation to improve inclusion as required.
- Work with the M&L team to ensure effective gender differentiated data is both captured and documented.
- Identify and support documentation of best practices, and use them to profile the impact of local level Gender /social change approaches, and promote lesson sharing.
- Contribute to capacity strengthening initiatives in gender integration for the program staff and partner organizations.
- Represent the project to internal and external partners including the county government and other project partners and key stakeholders on relevant Gender/ social change information
- Other duties, as required.
- Create and maintain a work environment where mutual respect among team members prevails and where the pursuit of individual and collective excellence is valued.
- Supervise assistants and short term consultants and enumerators in various field activities in gender, youth, social dynamics scope to deliver on time and quality, from time to time.
- Promote individual accountability and commitment by clearly and regularly communicating and providing constructive feedback.
- Support field level collaborative efforts and Learning to drive overall effectiveness and coherence of program operational strategies.
- Work collaboratively with all consortium partner staff in delivering a cohesive, integrated, gender and youth responsive program.
- Effectively communicate the program’s best practices and learning to the County and development stakeholders
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
Organizational Learning: Contribute field technical and operational expertise that feeds into a dynamic community of practice of Nawiri, identifying and sharing best practices across all Nawiri areas and work streams.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Participants: Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Supervisory Responsibility: N/A
Reports Directly to: Gender, Youth & Social Dynamic Lead with day to day operational management reporting to the Field Director.
Works Directly with: Nawiri County Team, Nawiri Technical Staff and County Government and county stakeholders.
Knowledge and Experience
- Education: Degree in Social Sciences, Gender and development studies or other relevant discipline.
- At least a minimum of three years of experience in designing, implementing gender integration interventions, including a focus on youth and adolescents
- Training in gender and youth responsive interventions.
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding and application of technical principles and concepts in gender integration that ensure proper cross-sectoral/integrated approach.
- Familiarity with principles and approaches in gender transformative approaches and understanding of programs addressing persistent acute malnutrition
- Demonstrated coordination, teamwork and planning skills with proven ability to function effectively programs/projects in both the public and NGO sectors.
How to Apply:
Applications should be submitted on or before 14th November, 2020 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Local candidates in Samburu are highly encouraged to apply.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Mercy Corps does not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process.
For the detailed Position Description and application procedure, please visit the following link: https://bit.ly/3kovsGf.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.