Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
The Africa Division of Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) is seeking a Senior Editor to provide support to the team. The Senior Editor will report to the Executive Director of the Africa Division based in Abuja, Nigeria. This position is fixed term for six months. HRW’s office are currently closed for the foreseeable future due to COVID-19; this position does not need to be based in a location where HRW has an office, but should be based in Africa, the Middle East, Europe, or the eastern US time zone.
1. Edit, revise and recast news releases, op-eds, reports and other written materials drafted by Africa division staff;
2. Mentor Africa division staff in HRW writing style and improve their proficiency in the application of human rights and international humanitarian law and standards.; and
3. Carrying out any other tasks as required.
Education: An advanced (master) degree in international relations, journalism, law, social sciences, or related studies is required.
Experience: A minimum of six years of relevant experience.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
1. Excellent writing and editing skills, including ability to uphold standards in line with HRW fact-checking guidelines, as well as the ability to think creatively and strategically are required.
2. Demonstrated knowledge and ability to apply international humanitarian and human rights laws is required, while knowledge of African human rights legal framework is desirable.
3. Demonstrated ability to maintain solid and effective working relationships at long distance, through modern technology is required.
4. Strong interpersonal skills in diverse cultural settings in order to work collaboratively within HRW, as well as with external partners, are required.
5. Ability to multi-task effectively, including good planning and organizing skills, and ability to work under pressure are required.
6. Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions is required.
Salary and Benefits: HRW seeks exceptional applicants and offers comprehensive compensation and benefits.
How to Apply: Please apply immediately or by November 15, 2020 by submitting a resume/CV and letter of interest via our online job portal at https://careers.hrw.org/. No calls or email inquiries, please. Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application submission, please email email@example.com. Due to the large response, application submissions via email will not be accepted and inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.
Human Rights Watch is strong because it is diverse. We do not discriminate in hiring practices and actively seek a diverse applicant pool. We encourage candidates of all abilities, ages, gender identities and expressions, national origins, races and ethnicities, religious beliefs, sexual orientations, and those with criminal records to apply. We welcome all kinds of diversity. Our employees include people who are parents and nonparents, the self-taught and university educated, and from a wide span of socio-economic backgrounds and perspectives on the world. Human Rights Watch is an equal opportunity employer.
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights monitoring and advocacy organization known for its in-depth investigations, its incisive and timely reporting, its innovative and high-profile advocacy campaigns, and its success in changing the human rights-related policies and practices of influential governments and international institutions.