Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Water Resources Authority is a State Corporation in the Ministry of Water & Sanitation and Irrigation established pursuant to Section 11 of the Water Act 2016.
The Management of WRA wishes to identify and recruit capable officers in the following positions:-
PRINCIPAL LEGAL OFFICER – WRA GRADE 4 – ONE (1) POSITION
Legal Services Function
The Legal Services function is responsible for providing Board Secretariat and related services to the Board, advising the Board and Management on legal matters, overseeing legal affairs of the Authority, mitigating legal risks against the Authority as well as implementing good corporate governance to enhance organizational credibility.
The Principal Legal Officer will report to the Assistant Manager, Legal Services
Duties and Responsibilities
- Advising the Authority on all legal matters that may arise in its operations;
- Drawing and vetting of contracts, agreements and other legal documents;
(iii) Negotiating for contracts;
- Following up on cases filed against the Authority and preparation of legal reports and opinions;
Developing, implementing and reviewing legal policies and procedures to ensure that they are in accord with the existing legislation;
- Coordinating service providers in legal matters involving the Authority;
- Initiating legal action on behalf of the Authority on recovery measures;
- Undertaking legal research;
- Advising the Authority on the legislation that affect the Authority and changes made thereof;
- Monitoring compliance with regulatory and legislative requirements;
- Providing of day to day legal and regulatory support to the functional areas covering general compliance queries and reviews; and
- Liaising with external lawyers on all cases filed against the Authority to ensure instructions, witnesses and statements are procured on time;
- Preparing Quarterly Legal Reports;
- Acting on regulatory changes or issues;
- Preparing Board Resolutions, Action Points, Board Reports and Board Minutes;
- Identifying legal and compliance risks and issues relative to the Authority’s intended actions;
- Managing the risk exposure of the Authority by ensuring compliance with all relevant statutory and regulatory requirements;
- Working with external lawyers to initiate lawsuits or to formulate a defense, to gather evidence in legal proceedings involving the Authority and rendering general advice relating to any legal proceedings involving the Authority; and
- Representing the Authority in litigation matters;
- At least five (5) years relevant work experience in Public Service or Private Sector, two (2) of which must be in a supervisory role;
- Bachelor of Law’s Degree from a recognized institution;
- Master’s degree in Law, Business Administration, Public Administration, or equivalent qualifications from a recognized Institution will be an added advantage;
- Post Graduate Diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law;
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya;
- Registration as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya;
- Current Law Practicing Certificate;
- Management Course lasting not less than four (4) weeks from a recognized institution; and
- Proficiency in computer applications.
Competencies and skills
- Analytical skills;
- Strategic and innovative thinking;
- Interpersonal skills;
- Communication Skills;
- Negotiation skills;
- Clear understanding of Kenyan Government system, national and international treaties;
- Knowledge of legal drafting, research and legislation;
- Good understanding of Constitutional Laws, Environmental and Water Laws and their operation in Kenya;
- Must demonstrate complete understanding of public service values set under Article 232 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010;
- (x) Must have knowledge of applicable statutes; and
- Demonstrate knowledge of and experience with laws dealing with government and or commercial contract administration, negotiations, preparation and execution.
In addition to the above qualifications ALL candidates MUST fulfill the requirements of Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010 which include:-
- Certificate of good conduct from the Director of Criminal Investigations;
- Clearance from the Director of Public Prosecutions;
- Clearance from Higher Education Loans Board;
- Clearance from Kenya Revenue Authority;
- Clearance from the Credit Reference Bureau; and
(vi) Clearance from the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission
Terms of Service and Remuneration
- Candidates on WRA Grade 4 shall be appointed on a contract of three (3) years renewable subject to performance.
- Candidates on WRA Grade 5 shall serve on probation for a minimum period of six (6) months and later be translated to permanent and pensionable terms based on performance.
Candidates who meet the above requirements should submit their applications to reach the address below on or before Friday 20th November, 2020. Online applications can be sent to email@example.com
Applications should include Curriculum Vitae that includes details of day time contact numbers, current and expected salary, notice period required to take up appointment, names and contacts of at least three (3) referees. Applicants must also attach copies of certificates/testimonials as well as copy of National Identity Card.
- WRA is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and gender equality. Persons living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Applications without relevant qualifications, copies of documents requested for will not be considered
- Any form of canvassing shall lead to automatic disqualification
- Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted
Applications should be addressed to The Chief Executive Officer Water Resources Authority NHIF Building, 9th Floor Wing B, Ragati Road P. O. Box 45250-00100, NAIROBI