Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Reports to: Livelihood’s Coordinator
Liaises with: Area Manager and Logistics & Procurement Officer Duty Station: Kakuma, Kenya
To oversee and supervise the operation, implementation, and monitoring of the WASH Infrastructure interventions within AAH-I’s Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) program in Kakuma and Kalobeyei, with the goal to improve the Livelihoods of the target population.
The WASH Officer reports to Livelihood Coordinator. He/She is responsible for coordination of WASH activities and technical monitoring in Kakuma Refugee camp and Kalobeyei settlement site.
Purpose of the role:
- Promote safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services specifically sanitary facilities.
- Oversee and supervise the construction and rehabilitation of latrines, drainage and other relevant WASH facilities ensuring that the constructions are of the highest quality and as per specified technical drawings.
- Facilitate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities.
- Participate in the requests for project materials; undertake technical verification of project materials upon delivery, and organize for branding where necessary and also call for distribution to the beneficiaries.
- Undertake technical inspection of sanitary installations including VIP latrines, pits, water pans, bore hole, water pipeline, drainage systems and dome slab/lid construction.
- Advice on quality control of all WASH activities – travel regularly to all the AAH-I construction sites assessing construction and M&E procedures.
- Development of rapid response and contingency plans.
- Assess and advise on capacity building needs within the team to ensure effective developments of the quality standards for the WASH activities.
- Carry out informal and formal training sessions (according to identified needs) and evaluate the impacts of this training.
- To assist and participate in community mobilization.
- Define the reference standards to be adopted in the planned WASH infrastructure
- Enable effective dialogue with the affected community to allow the agency to be held to account for the quality of the WASH programme.
- Ensure that all WASH infrastructure data is well managed and provides an accurate representation of the reality on the ground.
- Validate the accuracy of the data, and the quality of the WASH Infrastructure interventions.
- Help identify needs for non-food items relevant to hygiene, participate in the choice of items, targeting strategy, promotion of effective use, and post-distribution monitoring.
- Provide timely feedback on activity progress and advice on any challenges.
MINIMUM PERSONAL SPECIFICATIONS
Minimum qualifications required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualifications in Civil or Water Engineering,
- Technical background in Public Health Qualifications in Public Health, Environmental Health, Community Health and Environmental engineering or similar relevant discipline.
- Competencies and Desirable Skills
- Proven ability to use MS Office software (especially Word and Excel) is essential. Experience with other computer programs such as SAP 2000 and Microsoft Project would be an advantage.
- Experience in implementation of technical works in Public health engineering is an added advantage.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the AAH-I and Water Trust Fund’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of AAH-I.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Proven practical experience in the planning and execution of WASH Programmes of at least 3 years’ experience in a humanitarian and development programme preferably with an INGO.
- Plans, coordinates and organises workload while remaining aware of changing Priorities and competing deadlines.
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support.
- Proven presentation, training and facilitation skills.
- Strategic thinking
- Ability to initiate, develop, plan and implement an integrated programme.
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information.
- Possession of strong administrative and management skills with a willingness to follow relevant policies and procedures.
- Experience in capacity building and training of staff and target groups.
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of disadvantaged populations (minority groups etc).
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in psychologically stressful environments and physical hardship conditions with limited resource.
- Experience in managing infrastructure works, and in coordinating activities with partners and facilitating capacity building
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into WASH Programming.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Highly approachable, trustworthy and confidential
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view
Additional Skills & Competences
- Strong organizational and team working skills
- Good cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Knowledge of the NGO operations and the dynamics of the humanitarian sector is a plus
- ICT specialty (email, Spread-sheets, MS-word, Databases, job-related software, etc).
- High level of self-supervision and ability to take initiative
- Degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Technical side of the job (numeracy, report-writing, critical thinking, leadership, etc).
Method of Application
Interested candidates should email application letters and CVs (with 3 referees) addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org to be received by 19th November, 2020. The email Subject Line must show the job title of the position applied for. AAH-K is an equal-opportunity employer. We thank candidates for their high interest in the opportunities we publish on our website. Due to the high number of applications we receive, we will only get back to shortlisted candidates. AAH-K does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process nor does it use recruitment agents. Selection will be done on a rolling basis.