Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Job Title: Africa Business Officer
Location: Nairobi, Kenya (Internews Regional Office)
Starting date: January 1, 2020
Duration: Up to 24 months
Supervisor: Africa Senior Programme Officer / Business Manager
Internews works to ensure access to trusted, quality news and information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. We envision a world where everyone can communicate freely with anyone, anywhere, and exchange the news and information they need to shape their communities and the world.
For 35 years and in more than 100 countries, we have worked with our local partners to build hundreds of sustainable organizations, strengthened the capacity of thousands of media professionals, human rights activists, and information entrepreneurs, and reached millions of people with quality, local information, improving lives and building lasting change. On issues ranging from health and the environment to conflict and governance, Internews has developed approaches that harness the power of media and information to create positive change.
Internews is a charity operating internationally, with administrative centres in California, Washington DC, London, and Paris as well as regional hubs in Nairobi, Kiev and Bangkok. Formed in 1982, Internews currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and North America.
The Business Officer will work for the Africa Programme Management Unit (PMU) and will provide the highest standards of financial and administrative support to European funded Internews Africa Programmes. We are looking for a responsible and professional individual to perform a variety of financial and administrative tasks. Duties of the Business Officer will include the financial administration of current projects, oversight of project budgets and partner spending, facilitation of payment requests, budgetary projections and other financial and administrative duties that may be required during this period.
The Business Officer will work closely with the Senior Programme Officer, the Business Manager and the Programme Finance Analyst to provide timely and quality support to programmes as required.
- Financial administration of Internews’s projects:
- Review project expenditure and ensure accuracy of codings;
- Manage cash-flow to ensure the availability of project funds at Internews’ offices;
- Work with Programme Finance Analysts (PFAs) to prepare financial reports for donors, prepare notes for financial reports, and ensure that costs are reported in compliance with donor requirements;
- Monitor co-financing plans;
- Budget oversight:
- Review budget-versus-actuals and facilitate forecasting in line with project activities;
- Support partners with budget planning;
- Align internal templates to donor formats for effective monitoring and reporting;
- Monitoring HQ spending rates and work with PFAs to ensure adequate burn-rates;
- support Internews’ partners to prepare budgets under sub-grant agreements;
- Review financial reports from partners when required and coordinate corrections as required.
- Payments and administration:
- Coordinate payment requests to London, including reviews, confirmations, and follow-ups;
- Monitor donor income and prepare requests for disbursements to donors;
- Review and verify suppliers invoices to London HQ and Internews’ accounting department in California;
- Support Accounting field teams in terms of induction and refreshment training regarding Internews and donors’ procedures and policies;
- Budgeting: support Senior Programme Officer to develop highly accurate, cost-appropriate, and compliant budget proposals for donors.
- Other tasks: other financial and administrative may be assigned as required, including the preparation of requests for Personal Service Contracts.
- Relevant degree in Accounting, Business Administration or Financial management.
- Qualification in Accounting (Knowledge of ERP (Agresso) and QuickBook will be a plus)
- At least five years of experience working in a similar capacity.
- Experience with European funders (European Commission, SIDA, DFID, etc.)
- Proficiency in MS Office. Advanced proficiency in MS Excel.
- Fluency in English (both written and spoken).
- Knowledge of French will be a plus.
- Creative and a good team player.
- Excellent multitasking skills.
- Good management skills and the ability to solve immediate problems.
Closing date: 30 November 2020