Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
At the Rainforest Alliance, we are building an alliance to create a better future for people and nature by making responsible business the new normal. To advance our mission, we focus on amplifying our impact on the ground through systemic transformation: change across the entire supply chain, change in the relationship between people and nature, and change within our own organization. We achieve this transformation by working in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders to create a stronger Alliance. Together, we amplify the voices of farmers and forest communities, improve livelihoods, protect biodiversity, and help people adapt to climate change in bold and effective ways. We embrace transparency because we believe that the best way to build trust across our alliance is through openness about our tactics, our impact, and partners on the ground. Together, we can achieve our vision of a world where people and nature thrive in harmony.
The Associate, Natural Resource Management is responsible for coordinating, implementing as well as advising on all Natural Resource Management (NRM) related activities for Rainforest Alliance Mount Kenya Sustainable Landscape and Livelihoods Program in Kenya. The Associate NRM will support the Program by working with Rainforest Alliance staff, partners, consultants and stakeholders to build, monitor and manage a sound NRM system that supports an integrated landscape management to enable achievement of program’s outcomes and impacts. The position includes training and advising technical staff, partners, stakeholders and field consultants on NRM processes in accordance to Rainforest Alliance Sustainable Agriculture Standard, government policies and international best practices. The Associate NRM is also expected to coordinate closely with other Rainforest Alliance units to share knowledge and learnings. The position is open to expand in time and geography depending on funding and performance.
The Associate NRM will support the Team Manager in planning and implementation of activities related to natural resource management, rehabilitation and reforestation, biodiversity conservation, sustainable utilization of natural resources for economic gains, natural resource financing and policy across the Mt Kenya landscape.
Specifically, the Associate NRM will be responsible for:
- Supporting and sensitizing the communities and program stakeholders on sustainable natural resource management (i.e. land, water, forests, energy, environment, flora and fauna management) and their interrelationship with agricultural production within the project area;
- Supporting the establishment of participatory landscape governance structures, ensuring full participation of local communities, private sector, public sector, forest dependent communities, women and youth and all relevant stakeholders within the landscape;
- Supporting in the development of sustainable landscape development management plans taking into consideration sustainable production for improved farmers’ livelihoods, forest and water bodies protection and restoration, and community engagement and social inclusion;
- Mobilizing private and public sector resources for agricultural production and biodiversity conservation and aligning of efforts towards realization of sustainable landscape;
- Building farmers’ and communities climate change and economic resilience through diversification of livelihoods, employing alternative and innovative methods of production and green investments that are both economically attractive and environmentally sound;
- Support in the assessment of progress toward achieving Land Degradation Neutrality (LDN) in the project site through estimating changes in carbon capture resulting from changes in farmers´ and forest communities management practices towards adoption of CSA practices, improved conservation, green entrepreneurship and diversified enterprises
- Work closely with program team, consultants, and/or external partners to execute workplans, reporting, facilitate field visits and surveys, media and communication and collaborate with stakeholders and Rainforest Alliance colleagues for effective program management; and
- Undertaking other duties assigned by senior Rainforest Alliance colleagues.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Natural Resources Management, Agroforestry or related field;
- Minimum 3- 5 years of experience in similar position;
- Clear understanding of natural resource management concepts in the context of integrated landscape approaches to conservation and livelihood improvement;
- Clear understanding of regenerative agriculture/agroforestry practices for improved soil health, nutrient recycling and adaptation and mitigation of climate change;
- Knowledge of certification programs in the context of biodiversity conservation and sustainability practices;
- Competency in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and related computer programs e.g. ArcGIS, QGIS, ERDAS Imagine, Global Mapper, ENVI, and computer Microsoft Office (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Publisher);
- Knowledge in carbon foot printing and Environmental and Social Impact Assessments, registration from National Environmental Management Authority (NEMA) is a plus;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Spoken Kiswahili is a plus;
- Ability to travel locally and internationally at least 30% of the time.
Commensurate with experience.
Deadline: December 15, 2020
Only candidates authorized to work in Kenya will be considered.
The Rainforest Alliance encourages diversity and inclusion across the global organization. With this commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, disability and any other protected group.
If you have any questions about the job vacancy, please contact the HR department: firstname.lastname@example.org