Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Start date: January 20, 2021 (flexible)
Location: Kivus Region, DRC (initial training period in Nairobi, Kenya likely)
The organization: Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements.
Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of contextually-appropriate, affordable, desirable non-sewered sanitation solutions. We partner with residents and governments to identify locations and financing models for implementation.
We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training and aspirational marketing and branding. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community for treatment. We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer and insect-based animal protein, which we sell to Kenyan farms.
Operational since 2011, Sanergy now serves over 160,000 people living in low-income areas with safe sanitation services. Sanergy collects and treats over 12,000 T of waste per year, and successfully sells its agricultural end products to farmers, who are seeing improved yields and increased incomes. At the same time, we have built a team of over 250 people.
For our work, we have been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Best Companies in Africa.
Citywise, Sanergy’s advisory services team, leverages Sanergy’s experience delivering full value chain sanitation services to accelerate efforts toward citywide inclusive sanitation. We partner with others to design and implement integrated systems that deliver safe, cost-effective and dignified sanitation.
We have a proven track record delivering sanitation services to the poorest, most vulnerable populations in rapidly developing cities, command of technologies and service delivery models for urban sanitation, and a strong network of collaborators around the world.
Leveraging Investment for Transformational Water and Sanitation Systems in DRC (LIFT) is a five-year, USAID-funded program in peri-urban areas of the Kivus region of the DRC. LIFT’s goal is improved and sustained equitable access to clean water supply and safe sanitation services.
Citywise is responsible for leading the iterative design and delivery of cost-effective sanitation service models. We are committed to establishing a foundational understanding of the business landscape, customer preferences, existing infrastructure, and other relevant norms and context, and to developing solutions, iteratively and in partnership with government, stakeholders and communities, to strengthen what exists and fill gaps in order to ensure that all residents have access to safely managed sanitation.
The role: Citywise is looking for a resourceful and ambitious teammate with experience in operations, iterative development of products and services, and collection and analysis of qualitative and quantitative data to build our work in DRC from the ground up.
This will require both creativity and a deep understanding of Sanergy’s operations in Nairobi and our approach to product and service development, which will be gained through engagement with Nairobi operations and teams. The challenge – and the opportunity – of this role is to constantly evaluate what should be leveraged and what should be changed, harnessing all we have learned and being brave about starting from scratch when what we know does not apply.
The Operations Lead will oversee all Sanergy activities for the LIFT program.
Over the five years of the program, this will include:
- Establishing relationships with LIFT consortium members, Sanergy operational and support teams, government and other external stakeholders
- Overseeing citywide sanitation assessment with data collection of demographic, environmental, and technical factors
- Analyzing assessment results to develop a roll-out strategy for pilot-level launch, including recommendations about which products and services to offer and the specific location for launch
- Managing pilot-level launch of products and services, and their iterative improvement in partnership with customers
- Collaborating with Citywise teammates and LIFT consortium members to develop viable business models through which products and services can be sustainably and cost-effectively delivered
- Identifying existing actors and/or cultivating the incorporation of a new entity to manage ongoing operations
- Developing capacity of local actors with the explicit goal of independent operation without Sanergy support
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a growing team tackling unanswered questions in the sanitation/development space.
A successful candidate will have:
- 5-10 years of work experience
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., business, public health, urban planning, public policy, engineering, etc.) or comparable experience
- Strong skills in written and verbal communication, customer-service orientation
- Successful track record leading day-to-day field operations in a context in which unofficial and/or changing conditions must be navigated (e.g., informal settlement, peri-urban area)
- Experience managing collection and analysis of monitoring data and regularly adapting based on findings
- Skills in project management and reporting
- Demonstrated ability to overcome obstacles in order to achieve program objectives
- Excitement about tackling ambiguous, complex challenges; resourcefulness, creativity, and perseverance
- Self-advocacy and willingness to ask for help; ability to identify who can help and articulate what is needed
- Ability to simultaneously pay attention to critical details and keep the big picture in mind
- Recognition that both innovation and sustained effort are required to develop lasting solutions to complex problems
- Comfort engaging with varied stakeholders, including government officials, community leaders, small business operators, and community members
- Humility and ability to develop relationships to collaborate
- Fluency in English and either French or Kiswahili
- Familiarity with delivery of non-sewered sanitation services will be beneficial but is not required
- Experience in sales will be beneficial but is not required
- Experience managing USAID-funded projects will be beneficial but is not required
Please submit HERE a cover letter clearly indicating your available start date (include notice period), your interest in this role, and your resume/CV that includes a list of three referees by 11th December 2020.
Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and therefore applicants are encouraged to apply at their earliest convenience.
Kindly also indicate your salary expectations.