Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
JOB TITLE: Business Development Officer (BDO)
REPORTS TO: Project Coordinator
LOCATION: Homabay County
DURATION & HOURS: Full-time for a period of 1 year, renewable based on performance and availability of funds
Sustainable Agricultural Information Initiative (SAII) is a regional Not for Profit development organization with over 10 years of experience in delivering agricultural development and resilience-building interventions focused on value chain development in the ASAL and other counties of Kenya. The NGO is concerned with the promotion of sustainable agricultural practices to eradicate hunger and extreme poverty by implementing innovative, enterprising and sustainable interventions that contribute to mainstreaming good agricultural practices and market-oriented approaches, generating and diversifying household incomes among smallholder farmers and enterprising youth & women enterprises, thereby contributing to the long-term agenda of ensuring a food secure and a healthy nation.
Sustainable Agriculture Information Initiative (SAII) seeks to employ those who believe, as we do, that farmers can and will play a key role in achieving long-term rural prosperity in Africa and who seek to deliver on those beliefs by:
- Being experts in our field, delivering insightful/impactful evidence-based solutions
- Pushing boundaries, being creative with new and old solutions
- Acting for the long-term, building relationships and delivering long-lasting change for farmers
- Working flexibly, taking advantage of the most effective solutions, whether from the communities, private sector or government
- Sharing knowledge with others, reaching more farmers than we do alone, ensuring effective technologies are widely accessed.
Purpose of the role
The post holder will lead in the development of commercial opportunities for farmers in the Kimira Olouch project in Homabay and train farmer groups in agribusiness development and marketing. The post requires an individual with solid with expert knowledge of marketing and out-grower supply chains in a commercial setting.
- Establish the needs of the project in the county and identify key market players who can be linked to the project
- Work closely with the project coordinator to identify key business targets, develop and deliver a plan to create opportunities and to achieve those targets including income, production and productivity targets
- Provide capacity development training and support to beneficiaries’ project in Homabay county to effectively mobilize and deliver agri-business development services to beneficiaries (social mobilizing, identification of interest groups, business planning, and strengthening market linkages)
- Coordinate relevant stakeholders and service providers to deliver trainings to project beneficiaries such as financial literacy trainings, agriculture loans, inputs etc.
- Review existing information in the projects and provide training on identified markets and viable opportunities in the target value chains
- Ensure there is up to date information about market in the value chains and conduct analysis of trends in these value chains: identify, critical constraints and promising opportunities in order to improve the functioning of the value chains, thereby improving access to markets
- Participate in developing business plans and training manuals, and conduct training to the farmer groups and individual farmer on-farm support
- Conduct market studies and advise on best implementation strategies that would ensure that targeted farmer groups have profitable agribusiness ventures
- Work with the Project coordinators to train the groups on business planning and develop bankable business plans for all farmer groups and individual replicators
- Conduct monthly periodic reviews to ensure that all business plans are adhered to and the entrepreneurial capacity of the beneficiaries is enhanced
- Develop a sustainable marketing structure, including an umbrella commodity marketing association to enhance market access
- Compile monthly and quarterly reports (with illustrations such as graphs) to indicate the progress of the farmers in pursuing their respective value chains
- Develop strategic linkages with other value chain actors with a view of creating synergistic partnerships/collaborations that would be beneficial to the farmers’ agri-business enterprises
- Recommend relevant improvements in the agri-business enterprises that would enable the groups realize better returns on their investments
- Any other duties as may be directed by the line manager, HOP or CEO
- A degree in Agribusiness Management/ Agricultural Economics/ General Agriculture or any other relevant qualification from a recognized university
- Demonstrated track record of business development success with smallholder farmers in agricultural value chains
- Knowledge and practical experience in value chain development
- Experience in public private partnerships
- Previous work experience with farmer organizations
- 3+ years work experience in agribusiness development or agribusiness marketing
- Experience in smallholder farmer agribusiness capacity development
- Knowledge of the agribusiness sector in Kenya
- Strong background in business administration and management from the private sector
- Budgeting and financial management
- Capacity building of organizations and individuals
- Participatory training methodologies
- Network of private sector contacts
- Possess skills in community mobilization
- Networking skills
- A go-getter and able to develop new business partnerships and ingenious but practical business ideas.
Candidates who meet the requirements should send their CV and a cover letter motivating their interest in the position, detailing current and expected salary and Skype and mobile contacts by COB (23th December 2020) and follow the application instructions on the site.
Sustainable Agricultural Information Initiative (SAII), is an equal opportunity employer and only shortlisted candidates, whose CVs are received into our database will be contacted